Third Party Press

1917 DWM Gew98M

cj556

Here’s one I’ve had for three years and it’s another Craig Brown piece. Matching but for an unnumbered screw and rod, undoubtedly it’s been thru several rebuilds. The gun was pictured in Balls book, I believe on page 195 of the 5th edition. The receiver ring bears the 1920 Weimar property marking and the rear sight bears an S/42K marking. The right side of barrel is also BS marked. Did Oberndorf rework these or did they simply make rear sights? I will get more pictures tomorrow of the numbering and stamps when the rain here stops too. Thank you all in advance.

Attachments

• 355DC7EC-96DF-4CA6-9227-FEDEC852D6F9.jpg
    355DC7EC-96DF-4CA6-9227-FEDEC852D6F9.jpg
    279.7 KB · Views: 66
  • B4B5D1D8-0308-4CF8-A415-852F1EFFEA6C.jpg
    B4B5D1D8-0308-4CF8-A415-852F1EFFEA6C.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 97A3431C-EE98-476C-872C-E443335BAD35.jpg
    97A3431C-EE98-476C-872C-E443335BAD35.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 4AE42E8B-66B2-4D0D-84C4-729AC76920AB.jpg
    4AE42E8B-66B2-4D0D-84C4-729AC76920AB.jpg
    318.4 KB · Views: 46
  • FB136E10-F6EF-48D4-917E-F1BC92348117.jpg
    FB136E10-F6EF-48D4-917E-F1BC92348117.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 52
What a beauty Marc! Glad you got this one.

Mauser did not rework these, but rather supplied the parts. The work itself was done at various depots.

You are building the foundation of a great German collection.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Thank you Chris. I appreciate your help and leads. Seeing your stuff especially the oddball antiques reminds me of seeing Craig’s displays at the Bangor show as a teenager. Craig’s displays influenced me and it was always a treat to learn something from his displays. I’ve been lucky to have acquired four of his rifles (This one, a Berlin Police marked Kar98a and two Imperial Gew98s) but sadly he is no longer with us. Frankly I think you’re gonna take up his mantle, as you’ve come a long way in a short time. People complain about not being able to find anything but we’ve both been fortunate to find items that would’ve taken Craig’s generation a while, thanks to the internet.

Thank you Chris. I appreciate your help and leads. Seeing your stuff especially the oddball antiques reminds me of seeing Craig’s displays at the Bangor show as a teenager. Craig’s displays influenced me and it was always a treat to learn something from his displays. I’ve been lucky to have acquired four of his rifles (This one, a Berlin Police marked Kar98a and two Imperial Gew98s) but sadly he is no longer with us. Frankly I think you’re gonna take up his mantle, as you’ve come a long way in a short time. People complain about not being able to find anything but we’ve both been fortunate to find items that would’ve taken Craig’s generation a while, thanks to the internet.
Thank you for the kind words Marc, I'm flattered, but unworthy of a CB comparison. I've got a long way to go on that ticket, but I'm trying to reach that level. We've all been very fortunate to live in a time where older collections are popping up for sale.

I'm also happy seeing guys my age and younger taking a serious interest. You, Sam, Cyrus, Jordan. We've built a great, but small community here and are keeping this hobby going. The NS era stuff will continue selling itself, but Confederation, Imperial and Weimar needs folks like us to keep the interest alive.

Keep the good acquisitions coming buddy!

Wonderful rifle really love the Weimer era pieces. Only own one Gew98m though hopefully will acquire more in the future.

Thanks Jordan and good luck on your hunt for Weimar pieces.

Thanks I'm trying to buy a really cool Oberspree 1918 Gew98m and a good friend of mine might be able to hook me with some cool Gew98m rifles maybe by the end of this year. You just never know.

Thanks I'm trying to buy a really cool Oberspree 1918 Gew98m and a good friend of mine might be able to hook me with some cool Gew98m rifles maybe by the end of this year. You just never know.

Nice, I hope you get it as that’ll fit well with your other Kornbusch rifles. It is true you never know in this hobby especially when you try to save money but suddenly a bunch of rifles pop up you can’t live without.

Nice, I hope you get it as that’ll fit well with your other Kornbusch rifles. It is true you never know in this hobby especially when you try to save money but suddenly a bunch of rifles pop up you can’t live without.

That's the problem they pop up when your not ready but you have to make yourself ready lol! :laugh:

I think it is great that younger collectors are attracted to Imperial and Republican era rifles! It actually amazes me that this is even possible, - all without video games, movies or even very many affordable (good) books. Finding objective historical studies, authors or especially media sources is practically impossible... though if you are diligent you can find some good material in older historical journals, - like Central European History Journal and similar specialized academic journals that published good papers/studies in the 1960, 1970's... though even these can be rather snobby regarding revisionist authors if they deviate from their profession's narrative (or authors not possessing the proper "credentials" of a "professional historian"! - which it seems academia is obsessed with... economists, environmentalism, or any "profession" that is closely linked to government funding and support... though of course, they save their greatest disdain and vitriol for those "papered" revisionists that rock the boat and jepordize their government funding!)

Loewe i'm 19 and am learning alot from you and the other "senior" members on the board, I was always a huge history buff in school, and loving firearms, and coming from a German family was recipe for disaster in regards to collecting. Video games or not, these rifles are a major part of the Development of the German Firearms industry for WW2, and i think deserve more of a following, and recognition. I just find this stuff fascinating

Ha I'm not that young anymore Paul hit that big 30 mark this year buddy! Still I'm in that millennial class that I hate so much. The reason I do older folks think because your an millennial your already a lazy entitled person.

Which I hate that I'm far from lazy.

Now I just need to post more Gew98m rifles I just like them for some reason maybe it's the price tags you can find them for and the rich history they have. I did buy my cool Gew98m last year for around $850 couldn't be happier.

That's the problem they pop up when your not ready but you have to make yourself ready lol! :laugh:

Yeah I totally understand that. Couple years ago I stopped at Cabelas to use the bathroom and then wandered into the gun library low and behold there was a mislabeled 1903A1 National Match with a presentation plaque for $200 more than a mixmaster 03A3. Thankfully I was able to take that one home because they accepted credit cards. Last week I scored a matching 1936 Oberndorf 98k with bringback tag when it walked into a friends shop off the street. Suffice it to say the surprise is half the fun!

Attachments

• 3D8C7878-46AE-4D1E-9791-6F3449BAAA8F.jpg
    3D8C7878-46AE-4D1E-9791-6F3449BAAA8F.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 34B3697F-C6FD-454C-8F7E-FD477CCC9828.jpg
    34B3697F-C6FD-454C-8F7E-FD477CCC9828.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 25
Ha I'm not that young anymore Paul hit that big 30 mark this year buddy! Still I'm in that millennial class that I hate so much. The reason I do older folks think because your an millennial your already a lazy entitled person.

Now I just need to post more Gew98m rifles I just like them for some reason maybe it's the price tags you can find them for and the rich history they have. I did buy my cool Gew98m last year for around $850 couldn't be happier.
Jordan, you are such a millennial....NOT! Lol.

I'm almost 10 years up on you and if you hadn't said anything I wouldn't have made any assumptions about age. I was surprised Sam and Cyrus were in our age bracket too.

The thing I've found about Republican era stuff is it shows up when least expected. Hope you snag a nice one soon.

Well, I am x3 your age and it took me 40 years to find a fascination with the Imperial era and 45 to even recognize the Republican era existed! I actually started with SM & BannerK's thinking they weren't "nazi", but that was the late 70's and early 80's when next to nothing was known about these rifles... then like everyone else I had my G43 phase in between various 98k makers, though no interest in anything after 1942.

The path you take is generally one of who you know, what you learn from them, - for me it was Bill Reed in 1998 that got me started into Imperial's, though even with that direction you quickly develop your individualistic path, which too is influenced as you find or meet more experienced collectors. Today it is far easier, no stamped mail, loads of on-line resources, auctions/forums where you can get a grip (develop experience or feeling) on what is right or wrong, - being an email and few hours from the help of a more experienced collector (all for free!)

The Republican era is probably the most difficult of the three, probably nearly as tough as the German Confederation era (1815-1866 or so), though the best part is these two eras have less followers and less competition (for the meager supply); though they do tend to have a really strong core of experienced collectors. This was how my relationship with CB came about, while I had little interest in the Confederation era rifles we did share a facination with the interwar Republic.

I agree with Chris, we have a small but very experienced group of collectors, forum wide, but I am especially pleased by the two era's forums we specialize in (Imperial & the Republic); we have a lot less posts and action than 98k, but what there is pretty high quality (generally).

Every generation goes through this... old farts (and this starts in the 30's!) they think the new generation will be the end of civilization. My SNCO's use to call us the Pepsi generation (and I didn't eve like Pepsi!); they use to say we were sorriest Marines he'd ever seen and they were all Vietnam vets, - so they saw a lot of sorry a$$ Marines, so they would know!

I thought it couldn't get worse than the 1980's, I was little wrong...

The Republican era is probably the most difficult of the three, probably nearly as tough as the German Confederation era (1815-1866 or so), though the best part is these two eras have less followers and less competition (for the meager supply); though they do tend to have a really strong core of experienced collectors.

The German Confederation / Pre Imperial Bavarian items are some of the hardest things I've chased, but some of the most rewarding. I consider it my CB tribute focus.

If there was the level of competition and interest in those items as, say common kar98k, I doubt I'd own a single thing from the era. And if so, I woul have paid triple.

Military Rifle Journal
Back