Third Party Press

Thread: What bolt came in this DOU 43 ?

Default What bolt came in this DOU 43 ?

Just got this rifle recently. All appears matching except bolt. Wondering if it was scrubbed, or replacement ? Came with a yugo sling....
    Tried to take pics of any markings on the bolt ...opinions welcome. Thank you

I THINK that's an imperial German Gew. 98 bolt that's been bent and originally went into a Gew.98 to K98k rework, although not 100% sure. Those look like Imperial German markings on that bolt, as I can almost make out a crown.

Quote Originally Posted by SatThuVoBui View Post
    I THINK that's an imperial German Gew. 98 bolt that's been bent and originally went into a Gew.98 to K98k rework, although not 100% sure. Those look like Imperial German markings on that bolt, as I can almost make out a crown.
    Thank you, I will try and find my magnifying glass and see if I can notice that. Would this have been done by a modern bubba or wartime ?

After looking through the reference section of the forum, I'm almost certain now those are definitely imperial German markings, which if original would definitely make your bolt a Gew.98 bolt. As for whether or not 'bubba' got to it, it's hard to say because during the interwar period the Germans actually did rework many of their surplus WWI Gew.98 rifles into K98k carbines, but people do fake those too. Your markings look too faint to be stamped recently, but I'm a novice collector and so I'll leave it to the more learned members here to chime in. If original, you've got a very rare bolt, but unfortunately it's incorrect for a DOU 43 as it would only appear on a pre-war gun.