Third Party Press

nice 41, but ..

tbied2

... this auction just ended again. been listed several times all with the starting bid of 7000. this is a very nice looking " g41 duv43 " rifle. all 214 parts but 369 safety & bayo lug. almost at end of production, but there are some small dings in the stock & the magazine has some dings & bottom issues. they have four pages of stuff listed & almost no bids on any. starting prices too high,,... if they started this at say 5000 with a resonable reserve, they might get some interested and fair bids ......

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/881247072

... this auction just ended again. been listed several times all with the starting bid of 7000. this is a very nice looking " g41 duv43 " rifle. all 214 parts but 369 safety & bayo lug. almost at end of production, but there are some small dings in the stock & the magazine has some dings & bottom issues. they have four pages of stuff listed & almost no bids on any. starting prices too high,,... if they started this at say 5000 with a resonable reserve, they might get some interested and fair bids ......

The problem is the front end is humped on it, faked to match. That explains the 359 bayonet lug and replaced safety. It's been diddled and wanked. The question then becomes how much does such humping affect the price? Who would start the bidding at $5000 on a G.41 with a humped front end? Where does it go from there? Personally, if the front end was mismatched and stood a chance of coming back like that, it would be more desirable, and probably be in the $3500 range. What's interesting is that IMHO that seller appears to double the price of everything, which puts the $3500 retail on a piece with humped front end at $7000.

41 ...

... i have been sitting here for two hours staring at blow-ed up pics of the numbers;; & comparing the fonts on trigger guard,,.. & trying to visualize the material behind the stamps,..... i had two e-mails yesterdays asking about this rifle. so;; i sent an e-mail to the seller to see what happens .......... t

... i have been sitting here for two hours staring at blow-ed up pics of the numbers;; & comparing the fonts on trigger guard,,.. & trying to visualize the material behind the stamps,..... i had two e-mails yesterdays asking about this rifle. so;; i sent an e-mail to the seller to see what happens .......... t

Maybe look into some new glasses ;)

Here you go. You can easily see the area behind the humped numbers has been peened over as well. The problems jump out at you, particularly if pointed out. The numbers are close, such that a person with poor vision, little knowledge, or in a dimly lit funshow could miss it. However, the dies are clearly different and not original BLM dies. You can clearly see where the area behind the numbers was peened over and carefully overstamped. My question, with a humped front end and replaced safety, what is it worth?

fake.JPG

Yeah one can sure tell after the pics you posted Hambone. Damn shame honesty is often so tough to come by for many. Plus the fact so many examples have been ruined by forgers

I bet you he will say some BS about being informed the it's not total matching at some point. This seller M1937 adds 40% on everything he sales.

What do y'all think it worth with the humped front end and replaced safety?

What do y'all think it worth with the humped front end and replaced safety?
Although I have 3 G41s now that sure doesn't make me an expert. Still, as Terrill has noted if the seller would start out at lower initial price it might very well make a difference on getting it moved. That 7k starting point
is a turn off for most buyers and at 7K it had better be outstanding with no questionable stampings. What's it worth? Those humped numbers kill it for me but I think if he changed his strategy I think he "could" get easily in the 4k range since really nice G/K43s are in or near that ballpark right now.

By the way, Terrill, I'm in need of a safety lever for an M block Walther K43. The one on a rifle I picked up a while back had some crazy bubba mod going on with the safety--thank God he didn't bubba up anything else (well, he boogered the stock too). Do you have anything? Safety? Stock for a '44 Walther K43 (not the forward cross-lug version though).

41 ..

... i have had a couple of e-mails between myself and the seller;.. waiting for some pictures to be sent....

The tile man won't adjust the list price nor will he adjust the description to reflect the humped parts. You can try all you want but you're wasting your time. If you have a counter offer of interest, just look at other auctions and figure out how much he spent buying it. Odds are he picked it up on Gun Broker or one of the other common online auction companies.

I've purchased a few things from Michal (Michael) over the years and he lives just north of Atlanta. He always starts his auctions off +way high+ for some insane reason (he usually sells high priced parts though). Michal has always been open to offers with me. Ask him what his 'best price' would be once you get to know him. As noted in this thread, some of his items really do need to be looked at carefully.

This is his eBay id: wunderwaffe1945

He posted a bunch of gun videos (and tile videos) on YouTube years ago. Just the gun vids are left...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRkdY0SnWA74ZOwbpCC73rA

Last edited:
Thanks for some backstory Dustoff. It looks like he mostly trolls Gunbonker and such, then applies much pig lipstick and carnival barking. The humpers he’s mongered and tried to monger aren’t consistent so I don’t think he’s doing the humping. I think he’s just a sloppy profiteer who has had some success with this Gunbonker scheme and the carnival barking and has gotten stuck with honkers that he seeks to pass on at great profit. I think at a minimum he needs to be stuck with his own honkers. IMHO, he is harmful to German rifle collecting overall, unlike many dealers who provide us fair retail markets. All just my opinions, and again, thanks.

Thanks for some backstory Dustoff. It looks like he mostly trolls Gunbonker and such, then applies much pig lipstick and carnival barking. The humpers he’s mongered and tried to monger aren’t consistent so I don’t think he’s doing the humping. I think he’s just a sloppy profiteer who has had some success with this Gunbonker scheme and the carnival barking and has gotten stuck with honkers that he seeks to pass on at great profit. I think at a minimum he needs to be stuck with his own honkers. IMHO, he is harmful to German rifle collecting overall, unlike many dealers who provide us fair retail markets. All just my opinions, and again, thanks.

I agree. His methods and prices are not good for most collectors or the hobby. I've politely pointed out omissions, incorrect markings, etc a few times and he has corrected his listing or reduced the price for me on a part here and there. I've only purchased parts and ammo from him. His prices have risen considerably over the years as more buyers keep paying his inflated prices. Most of his complete firearms sit unsold. He does quite well in the parts department, but it has been almost 2 years since I last purchased anything from him. When he gets G43 parts and magazines, his prices are *almost* double the going rate...but they usually sell!

Military Rifle Journal
Back