Third Party Press

A discussion on production, emphasis on scarce codes.

Herk1994

Guys,

I’ve recently purchased an AX 1940 from the trader. It’s got me interested in the final production numbers of the lesser seen code varieties, those such as “337”, “660”, “237”, and of course BSW etc. This is just to name a few but the list can certainly go on.

Anyone have the production numbers for a few of these codes readily available? It’d be interesting to see them all laid out in a listing of most prominent to least, by the numbers. There may be a thread on this forum about this already, but I haven’t seen one if there is.

Herk

They are in The Books. I can tell you that sometimes production numbers don't define scarcity of a code/date. Much of the time it is survivability. The vast majority of early production went East to be destroyed. So, you may have a higher number of an early code made, and a far fewer number of bnz 45s made. However, pallets of bnz 45s may have been found in a warehouse or depot, so there are far more of them today.

They are in The Books. I can tell you that sometimes production numbers don't define scarcity of a code/date. Much of the time it is survivability. The vast majority of early production went East to be destroyed. So, you may have a higher number of an early code made, and a far fewer number of bnz 45s made. However, pallets of bnz 45s may have been found in a warehouse or depot, so there are far more of them today.

I wish I had my books with me, on the road again for work. That makes complete sense although the fact of the matter is a sad one. Definitely see less AX’s and 660’s among others than most, like BYF 44’s and DOT 44’s with production numbers peaking over 350,000 being the most common as I currently understand. I’ll have to reference my books when I’m home.

There used to be a website that I cannot recall the domain, it ended with a the .PL TLD. It had a list of every year / code, the estimated serial ranges, and production numbers. I am sure it out was out of date, but it was very helpful as a quick digital reference. Does anyone else remember this or the domain? It started with a K, but not k98. I really need to start saving these. The great website from P Colmant in Belgium on ammo is gone. Pancho's website is gone, I am sure others will disappear too.

Last edited:
There used to be a website that I cannot recall the domain, it ended with a the .PL TLD. It had a list of every year / code, the estimated serial ranges, and production numbers. I am sure it out was out of date, but it was very helpful as a quick digital reference. Does anyone else remember this or the domain? It started with a K, but not k98. I really need to start saving these. The great website from P Colmant in Belgium on ammo is gone. Pancho's website is gone, I am sure others will disappear too.

Ha!

https://web.archive.org/web/20071005074518/http://mauser98k.internetdsl.pl/kodyen.html

Hi Herk,
As Hambone said, everything is at the end of Vol IIb.
Some posts about rare/common maker/code/dates on the forum:
http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?35521-Top-11-Most-Common-codes-yrs
http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?4619-Common-Codes
http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?20800-Rare-coded-k98-s

An Italian guy seems to have copied (outdated) production figures from BBOTW and published them (or maybe he copied the Polish website):
https://sites.google.com/site/guncollectorhelps/CodiciCodes/codici-produzione-mauser-k98

Last edited:
^ This is Classic ^ They should be referred to in this manner as that is what they are!

Right, I know they’re in the books as well because I own all of them, minus Kriegsmodell. I brought up the topic because I’m on the road again for duty and I don’t have them with me for immediate reference.

Hi Herk,
As Hambone said, everything is at the end of Vol IIb.
Some posts about rare/common maker/code/dates on the forum:
http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?35521-Top-11-Most-Common-codes-yrs
http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?4619-Common-Codes
http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?20800-Rare-coded-k98-s

An Italian guy seems to have copied (outdated) production figures from BBOTW and published them (or maybe he copied the Polish website):
https://sites.google.com/site/guncollectorhelps/CodiciCodes/codici-produzione-mauser-k98

Thanks GO.

Another newbie collector that tried to “out” the recent 660 39 code on Dave’s site. Now wants to be SPOON fed info without doing any research on his own.... Google should be his friend... I’m not buying his “lack of books “ response.... We have quite a big pic stickie section and if you don’t see an example.... It’s probably uncommon in the least... Just sayin

Right, I know they’re in the books as well because I own all of them, minus Kriegsmodell. I brought up the topic because I’m on the road again for duty and I don’t have them with me for immediate reference.

Herk, I meant to ask you, are you Air Force? Hence the name Herk and the C-130?

Another newbie collector that tried to “out” the recent 660 39 code on Dave’s site. Now wants to be SPOON fed info without doing any research on his own.... Google should be his friend... I’m not buying his “lack of books “ response.... We have quite a big pic stickie section and if you don’t see an example.... It’s probably uncommon in the least... Just sayin

Oh yeah? Are we talking about me here, or are you just being a general asshole? I own the books, I’m on the road with the military and I don’t carry an extra 10 pounds of books with me, I’ve got enough to carry. I asked the question because I don’t have immediate reference, I’ve already done the preliminary research before I dropped 3700 on a rifle from a great seller on an honest forum. Take your bitter toxic a$$ out the door, or I’ll be glad to send you out with my size 13 boot in close pursuit.

Last edited:
Oh yeah? Are we talking about me here, or are you just being a general asshole? I own the books, I’m on the road with the military and I don’t carry an extra 10 pounds of books with me, I’ve got enough to carry. I asked the question because I don’t have immediate reference, I’ve already done the preliminary research before I dropped 3700 on a rifle from a great seller on an honest forum. Take your bitter toxic a$$ out the door, or I’ll be glad to send you out with my size 13 boot in close pursuit.

A cell phone weighs about 8 oz . Just because you spent 3700 dollars on a rifle doesn’t make you an expert, especially when the rifle you bad mouthed on another forum, the 39 660 depot rework, was listed by an individual that has forgotten more about k98s than apparently you know and now you are justifying your purchase.... not bitter, just calling
a spade a spade...

A cell phone weighs about 8 oz . Just because you spent 3700 dollars on a rifle doesn’t make you an expert, especially when the rifle you bad mouthed on another forum, the 39 660 depot rework, was listed by an individual that has forgotten more about k98s than apparently you know and now you are justifying your purchase.... not bitter, just calling
a spade a spade...

I never once claimed that it makes me an expert, nor did I even remotely imply that. I looked over the books and failed to see the exact serial number 660, so I made the claim that the seller used a poor tactic to take advantage of Mike and Bruce. I made a mistake, I am only human. I didn’t do it to play expert, I did it because I honestly felt that two great authors were being taken advantage of. Again, I screwed up. I’m only a man. I’m not justifying my purchase, I already did that before I paid for it.

If making an honest post to further my own and other’s research on this forum is going to result in responses like this than I’m just gonna leave the forum. At that point it’s a complete waste of time, so if you’re gonna be an asshole you just tell me when to leave and I’ll be on my way. I’ll let you make the decision for me.

I never once claimed that it makes me an expert, nor did I even remotely imply that. I looked over the books and failed to see the exact serial number 660, so I made the claim that the seller used a poor tactic to take advantage of Mike and Bruce. I made a mistake, I am only human. I didn’t do it to play expert, I did it because I honestly felt that two great authors were being taken advantage of. Again, I screwed up. I’m only a man. I’m not justifying my purchase, I already did that before I paid for it.

If making an honest post to further my own and other’s research on this forum is going to result in responses like this than I’m just gonna leave the forum. At that point it’s a complete waste of time, so if you’re gonna be an asshole you just tell me when to leave and I’ll be on my way. I’ll let you make the decision for me.

Your a big boy with size 13 boots. Not everyone gets a medal on this forum.... You decide... You walk away you are giving up the greatest forum on ww1 and w2 German and German used weapons and accessories. Just sayin

Well, I certainly won’t be making any posts anymore after this, at least for a while. Sorry to be a burden on the forum.

Brandon

As someone who has no vested interest in this duel, I will say that you came out swinging on that forum with some pretty BOLD statements against the seller. You were proven wrong and did not choose to acknowledge your mistakes until confronted just here. Someone else may have some interest in this duel and obviously took offense, but from an outsider.. you were in the wrong. Not saying you should disappear just next time if you aren't an expert, don't act like one and ask. I have been lurking this forum for 5 years, and the rifles are tough area to learn. The depot situation multiples that complexity exponentially. I won't speak like an expect as I don't intend to take advantage and target those who don't know I am not an expert.

Herk1994 said:
Okay, this is a bullshit sales tactic. He states that the rifle is pictured in Bruce and Mike’s book. No, it is not. A rifle LIKE IT is pictured in the book. This is a bullshit claim that is worded to infer that this exact rifle is pictured in their work and is thus without question a legit rifle that is worth more, targeting those who don’t have the books, we all know most people know about them by now. Taking advantage of two of the world’s best authors, and their incredibly hard work, is not cool to me. He should have and could have worded it differently, and I wouldn’t be upset.

As someone who has no vested interest in this duel, I will say that you came out swinging on that forum with some pretty BOLD statements against the seller. You were proven wrong and did not choose to acknowledge your mistakes until confronted just here. Someone else may have some interest in this duel and obviously took offense, but from an outsider.. you were in the wrong. Not saying you should disappear just next time if you aren't an expert, don't act like one and ask. I have been lurking this forum for 5 years, and the rifles are tough area to learn. The depot situation multiples that complexity exponentially. I won't speak like an expect as I don't intend to take advantage and target those who don't know I am not an expert.

Okay, what the hell? I didn’t even comment on the rifle’s authenticity. I literally simply overlooked the serial number and claimed it wasn’t in the book because I overlooked it. Not a single time did I state that the rifle wasn’t a legitimate depot gun because I’m such a big expert. I’ve been dealing with enough shite the past couple days, I’m done with this forum. You make one little honest mistake and the assholes come out of the woodwork.

Mod, please delete my account.

Military Rifle Journal
Back