Third Party Press

DOU 43 Advice Please

Pratt

Hi, everyone. I'm a long-time WW1 and WW2 rifle collector who's new to the K98k world. I have an opportunity to buy a DOU 43 from a local source and am doing my research before purchasing. The picture reference page was very helpful (particularly dou. 43 i block (early 43)) and so far everything checks out to my untrained eye. I welcome any advice based on the attached pictures. Two outstanding questions in my mind:
1. I should see if they'll be amenable to disassembling it and allowing me to check the serial numbers on the stock, handguard, and trigger assembly.
2. If I'm not mistaken, I believe the metal should be in the white, but some parts have a sort of tan/gold patina. Any thoughts on what this might be? Were some parts blued, but not others?

I have no price from the seller yet as this is new inventory that has not yet been processed. Observations and advice are most welcome and appreciated!

Attachments

• Capture6873.JPG
    Capture6873.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 50
  • Capture6874.JPG
    Capture6874.JPG
    123 KB · Views: 70
  • Capture6877.JPG
    Capture6877.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 42
  • Capture6883.JPG
    Capture6883.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 31
  • Capture6884.JPG
    Capture6884.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 39
  • Capture6889.JPG
    Capture6889.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 41
  • Capture6891.JPG
    Capture6891.JPG
    187.2 KB · Views: 42
stay away from that one unless its cheap..... bad finish and fake bolt SN (safety and shroud are good oddly enough)

As dibbs said, bolt body itself looks bad. Aside from the font, I don't think dou 43 bolts should have the letter block of the s/n on them. As for the "in the white vs. bluing" thing, on a 1943 k98k all metal should be blued. How that bluing looks exactly depends on wear, patina, and the original manufacturer. Some used shinier bluing/polishing than others.

Rest of the serial numbers look okay to me

None of it should be in the white. One easy way to tell the bolt is humped is to look at the font, specifically the 2. Match it to the other 2’s on the shroud and safety and you’ll see it’s a totally different font.

Guys, thank you for your guidance. The fake serial numbers on the bolt look obvious now that you point it out. This obviously isn't the outcome I was hoping for, but am glad that I now have the knowledge to pass on this one and keep looking.

Guys, thank you for your guidance. The fake serial numbers on the bolt look obvious now that you point it out. This obviously isn't the outcome I was hoping for, but am glad that I now have the knowledge to pass on this one and keep looking.

It's always a great idea to research and ask for opinions before making that purchase. It's a must for these rifles! I've seen way to many people overpay, some at least $1K over, on a rifle they thought was correct. That's a lot of money to throw away.

Military Rifle Journal
Back