Third Party Press

History of K98 Sporter

ColMonty

Help with History of K98 Sporter

Greeting fellow collectors,

I inherited a "bcd 43" Sporterized K98. I has all matching serialized parts to include the stock (must have been cut down??) but is missing a butt plate and the sling points. I purchased a "original" butt plate from Numrich, but it was too large? Any ideas? Here are my questions:

1. Can anyone help me with the history of this weapon or where can I research?
2. Any suggestions on where I can purchase an "original" sling mounts and butt plate?
3. Other than an awesome elk rifle, is it worth anything?

Many thanks
COL Monty

Attachments

• IMG_2517 v2.jpg
    IMG_2517 v2.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2519 v2.jpg
    IMG_2519 v2.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2520 v2.jpg
    IMG_2520 v2.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2521 v2.jpg
    IMG_2521 v2.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2522 v2.jpg
    IMG_2522 v2.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Sportered rifles have been coming up in value. 2-7 incredibly.
Yours is in original finish, so that's a plus. Does it still have the handguard retaining ring on the rear sight base? Does the bolt serial match the rifle?

I don’t believe I’ve ever seen a laminate stock remodeled like that!

Someone took great pains to make it look that good!

Putting screws in the two buttplate holes, as well as the cleaning rod hole, dresses it up immensely!

The schnoble carved into the tip is a great touch also!

Finally . . . .a bubba job that is more than “a cut above”!

Yours is in original finish, so that's a plus. Does it still have the handguard retaining ring on the rear sight base? Does the bolt serial match the rifle?

The bolt does match the rifle, which is a plus. As for the handguard retaining ring, I will need to look that up to see to what that refers. I will take a picture of the rear site base and submit. I appreciate the feedback

I was able to look it up and yes, the handguard retaining ring is still present. I actually bought a hand guard from Numrich thinking I could figure out a way to attach it. Any suggestions?

Thanks

I was able to look it up and yes, the handguard retaining ring is still present. I actually bought a hand guard from Numrich thinking I could figure out a way to attach it. Any suggestions?

Thanks

you can stop buying parts, especially from those vendors, slow down.

unfortunately its now a hunting rifle, it will never be any but a hunting rifle, All its historic and collector value disappeared the day the stock was modified.

Restoring sporter's can be fun projects but not inexpensive depending on what you start with. Your looks like a great candidate. I have several post on my rescue projects. Although its no longer "collectable" to some not everyone is interested in that. Can you post full pictures on everything? Other than stock (Laminate with cupped buttplate) and barrel bands looks like you have a worthwhile project that I would have taken up myself.
Look at "Picture Reference" section on here to see examples of your rifle in its original configuration. PM me if you have questions

Last edited:
K98 Parts dealer??

you can stop buying parts, especially from those vendors, slow down.

unfortunately its now a hunting rifle, it will never be any but a hunting rifle, All its historic and collector value disappeared the day the stock was modified.

Thanks for the info. Any suggestions on a better parts dealer? Just want to replace the cupped butt plate that evidently was originally on the weapon. Thanks

Military Rifle Journal
Back