Third Party Press

1940 42 K98k HELP NEEDED!

2F8BDB55-1A20-4A28-B654-1945A13C0219.jpg[SUP][/SUP]
A699C308-3DF5-431C-B965-5F63ACB4C28E.jpg
9EBE54C9-A205-41B2-A238-7AE2E982B98D.jpg
C06758CE-6B3C-4261-A3E5-139009D78E94.jpg

Hello all!
I am a WWII collector, and am not wanting to collect K98k’s exclusively, but would like to add a nice example to the collection. I bought a nice milled panel K43 from a man who got a group of firearms from the WWII vet. I was offered this K98k for $1000, but I admittedly know nothing about them. I know from everything I saw, it all appears to be matching. The stock is what confuses me, it is unnumbered on the exterior, and has only one Waf. The buttplate is unnumbered but has a 3 letter code which I can’t remember off hand. These are the only photos I have, but I would love input!
Thanks!

Attachments

• ED4AE366-0AA4-4023-8C36-CE2580DF1A70.jpg
    ED4AE366-0AA4-4023-8C36-CE2580DF1A70.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 62
You’ve just reached your size limit for uploading photos at one time. Upload about 3 or 4 at a time, then just do it over again in the attachment menu. It will add more photos to the ones you already uploaded.

What does the top of the receiver say? That will tell you manufacturer and year. It’s hard to make out these photos, but I have a feeling the stock is Mauser-Oberndorf, 43 or 44. Is that stamp on the butt an eagle with a WaA135 under it? If so, there are some signs that parts were changed.

..there are some signs that parts were changed.

No doubt. NOT being an a$$ but these pictures are nearly worthless for a serious evaluation. You honestly need clear, lit photos of the stamps and numbers. Normally IMHO bad, irrelevent or out of focus pictures mean the item is not good. Not 100% but it happens much more often than not.

I can already see it has stock issues sanded and cleaned. I would pass if I were you sanded or cleaned stocks are the kiss of death when it comes to any military collectable rifle. I would rather have a bolt mismatched then a sanded cleaned stock. Plus a $1000 is almost half way or over for a decent matching rifle.

I can already see it has stock issues sanded and cleaned. I would pass if I were you sanded or cleaned stocks are the kiss of death when it comes to any military collectable rifle. I would rather have a bolt mismatched then a sanded cleaned stock. Plus a $1000 is almost half way or over for a decent matching rifle.

Yeah all valid points, especially the price to a better, perhaps all matching rifle. There are several incongruities we can already see here but better, more complete photos would be required.

Yeah all valid points, especially the price to a better, perhaps all matching rifle. There are several incongruities we can already see here but better, more complete photos would be required.

Agreed to all points, and in the case of many kinds of collectibles and especially K98 rifles, when in doubt, DON’T!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Military Rifle Journal
Back