Third Party Press

Scarce G date.... uh oh

Zeppelin5000

I'm sure a few of you guys have seen this one... it's on a well known collectors site know for not being up on their K98s. It's almost $4K and listed as "all matching, but there might be an issue with just the front band". I see a much bigger issue for a 1935 dated K98...

Attachments

• 2020-07-23_505.jpg
    2020-07-23_505.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 173
  • 2020-07-23_524.jpg
    2020-07-23_524.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 187
  • img_6719_11.jpg
    img_6719_11.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 141
  • 2020-07-23_511.jpg
    2020-07-23_511.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
The stock is not original for 1935 date, should be walnut with a flat buttplate. The current stock on it now could be right if it's and real depot rebuild k98. Hard to tell with a few pics.

The stock is not original for 1935 date, should be walnut with a flat buttplate. The current stock on it now could be right if it's and real depot rebuild k98. Hard to tell with a few pics.

Exactly. There are more photos on the site, but they dont really show anything important. I don't believe its a depot rebuild though as it doesn't have any depot specific markings. I'm not fully up on depot reworks, but I believe there should be a depot stamp on the wrist behind the trigger guard. Nothing there on this one..

Attachments

• 2020-07-23_523.jpg
    2020-07-23_523.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 78
If it was reworked in a depot at any time they would have installed a cupped buttplate type stock onto the gun, then wouldn't they also add slits to the front sight for a sight hood in order to bring the rifle "up to spec" with the contemporary standards? I don't think leaving the front sight in a pre-war configuration would be something a depot rework after 1940 would do.

If it was reworked in a depot at any time they would have installed a cupped buttplate type stock onto the gun, then wouldn't they also add slits to the front sight for a sight hood in order to bring the rifle "up to spec" with the contemporary standards? I don't think leaving the front sight in a pre-war configuration would be something a depot rework after 1940 would do.

Not necessarily. Looks like a humped e/H stock stamp. What else is humped?

To me it just looks like a $4,000 stock mismatch. Other parts look ok to me, including the bolt. You probably know where to look for this one Ham. Unsure if I should post the link or not...

Best case scenario is that this was a depot rework but even if that was the case, it certainly isn't worth 4k. Worst case is it's a humped up postwar job, which is more likely.

To me it just looks like a $4,000 stock mismatch. Other parts look ok to me, including the bolt. You probably know where to look for this one Ham. Unsure if I should post the link or not...

Posting a link is certainly justified, IMHO, anyone object ??????

Thats what I mean. If its a legit depot rework, then they would've added slits for a front sight hood, but that does not appear to be present.

Therefore, I agree. This is a hump job.

Thanks for the link Zep. It's heavily wanked to look nice. My best guess, without more pics, is that it's a resurrected sporter.

If we don't screen shot the sale, ID the serial, etc., then this thread is useless after the link expires. Like this:

S42 G ad.JPGS42 G ad 2.JPG

Last edited:
Posting a link is certainly justified, IMHO, anyone object ??????

Yeah I agree too. Not that I want to crap on this guys business but maybe it'll keep someone who does a bit of research from getting burned. I still think this will end up getting passed around though. The 'shine' on the wood and metal and the fake e/H seem familiar?? Trying to remember which humper used a similar style?

To put my 2 cents in, I would have expected stamps on the extractor collar, the front triggerguard lock screw, the recoil lug, the bolt disassembly disc and a curved rear band (it looks square).

Since we are talking about masquerade of a S/42 G depot rework I thought I'd post my rifle here so we can see a real one. This rifle has been on the forum a couple of times over the years. Interestingly, its also got a few of the elements people were worried about with the other rifle, like no depot marking on the wrist and no slots cut for front site hood. It did however receive a barrel swamp (2640RD is the barrel blank number.... Ruhrstahl I believe?). Its 'new' stock is a laminate byf Wa135, double marked on the toe, and matching to the receiver. There is also 'P' which I suspect stands for P block? Anyways here it is.

Attachments

• IMG_9494.JPG
    IMG_9494.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_9491.JPG
    IMG_9491.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_9492.JPG
    IMG_9492.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_9495.JPG
    IMG_9495.JPG