Third Party Press

P.38 ac42

bigwagon

Picked up my first P.38 today, a nice addition to my WW2 Axis handgun collection I think. I've never put much thought into P-38s over the years, but as I've been concentrating lately on adding to the collection, I figured I should have a representative example of such an iconic pistol. This one popped up nearby on Armslist, so I decided to take a look and ended up paying $825 for it, which is not a steal but probably a fair price. All the serials match, it has a great bore, decent finish and came with a magazine that's probably more correct for a slightly later AC. But overall, I'm pretty happy with it and it will fill a nice slot in the accumulation. It's also a nice companion to my bringback BCD42 K98. Now I'll have to start looking for a proper holster to go with it!

The magazine is marked P.38v with a single e359 high on the spline, which I think indicates it was originally from a little later production, probably for an AC43 or 44. The correct mag for this gun would be prior to the elongation of the tube that was identified by the addition of the V mark. Being a J block AC42 it was made after the elimination of serialized magazines earlier in the production run (about B-C block IIRC).

0pxKchih.jpg

Military Rifle Journal
Back