Third Party Press

Canvas Receiver Covers

Bob in OHIO

So, what is the story with these? Rifles in storage, rifles in transport? Seems like a bulky/ awkward accessory for a soldier to manage. Any wartime pics of these?

Here's one from a respected dealer, that looks like a repop to me as everything about it seems wanky... thoughts?

Attachments

• rec.cover.guild.2.jpg
    rec.cover.guild.2.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 68
So, what is the story with these? Rifles in storage, rifles in transport? Seems like a bulky/ awkward accessory for a soldier to manage. Any wartime pics of these?

Here's one from a respected dealer, that looks like a repop to me as everything about it seems wanky... thoughts?

We’ve already had an exhaustive and in depth discussion on that variant. It’s in our pic sticky reference library with all of the other variants. It was sent to me for review.

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?38962-OVT-44-K98k-Canvas-Action-Cover-Analysis

This isn’t a bulky item at all. It will fold up and fit in a lower feldbluse pocket or breadbag easily. For the personnel it was issued to it makes very good sense. Period pics and research show these action covers primarily issued to two kinds of troops: motorcyclists and troops / DAK in North Africa / Tunisia. This action cover in conjunction with a muzzle cover kept mud, dirt, and dust out of your action. If you’ve ever ridden a motorcycle or ATV in the mud with a slung rifle or shotgun you know what happens to it ;) That would be a real problem for a motorcyclist or a soldier in the desert in a combat zone. Anyone who has ever handled weapons in the ME knows the problem with sand. The Brits / Commonwealth issued similar action covers and period pics show them in use. If it wasn’t a useful item for certain situations we wouldn’t see them in period pics used by combat troops, who would have discarded them.

Last edited:
thanks for the link, good info.. still wonky imo

I struggled with it, as you see. I had it in hand. We don't see these after 1942, then suddenly when industry is cutting corners they are made again? Ultimately my vote was good, based upon the background information and general appearance. Still, you can see a difference in the manufacture from the known originals.

I agree it could be good but it is a tough call. I have one, but it’s the earlier and standard pattern that is unquestionable. Just need a blue one now.....

Military Rifle Journal
Back