Third Party Press

Matthew Neil Kurtz S/243G

bruce98k

Super Over the Top Moderator -1/2
Staff member
As in life sometimes you are a dollar short and a day late.
In this case just late. I had been chasing this rifle since Volume I came out and
Neil just would not part with it.

I am referring to the pristine Reichspost S/243G pictured in Volume I.

Neil passed away and the collection appears to have gone to Checkpoint Charlies.

Did any of our members buy this and did anyone see the listing?
Still trying to determine if a dealer purchased this as well.

Thanks,
B.

Rifle Status

Got a PM this morning..one of our members bought it.

That's good news. I hope he is willing to sell it to you, or at least give you first dibs on it when that time comes.

S/243g

Stan that rifle is special and I doubt that the new owner will part with it.
Time to move on to another target....whatever that will be.

B.

Shame when that happens. When John Wall passed there was a rifle in his collection that I had been very interested in. It took me several years to track it down. The current owner won't let it go until he dies...

John Wall

If I would take a guess, would it be the 6mm (5.97) test rifle? LOL.
I too would have liked his Chinese contract K98k - a superb example.

If I would take a guess, would it be the 6mm (5.97) test rifle? LOL.
I too would have liked his Chinese contract K98k - a superb example.

Geez am I that predictable!!! :facepalm:

That is the one! Hoping to visit it this fall. Might send you an email and see if I can stop by and meet/pester you on the way up.

Back when I used to collect, I decided that if I hadn't looked at a rifle for a year than I really didn't need it and it was time for someone else to have the excitement of owning it, and I could take the money and buy something that was new and exciting to me that I could enjoy and learn from. I think it's a little different for those who have the means to display a virtual library of original arms and share them with those who are "cut from the collectors cloth". It's only human to hold on to things that you love until the last minute, but nobody gets off this rock alive, and it is of course ideal if you can plan to pass them on to the most worthy caretakers.
:happy0180:

Last edited:
Current thread

swj well said! At some point in the next 10 years or even sooner I will dispose of my collection.
I too will "not take them to the grave" as some collectors have been quoted to.

Hopefully with many younger collectors coming into our group, I will find that many of my hard won rifles will go to
worthy successors. I will make sure that no dealers or opportunists get any of my holdings. That is guaranteed.

As long as I stay healthy and my state of mind is sound!

I agree as well, my collection will go to the people I choose, not dealers or auction houses. Most will be sold right here on the trader God willing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been contemplating this very same thing recently...spent some time with a member of Scuderia recently and fell in love...

The accumulating of WW2 guns is fun but at heart I LOVE cars...and for various reasons (my interest, a lack of shooting the guns I collect, daughter who isn't into them, hell even political pressures) I've become more keenly aware of the need to disposition what I have. When I do it..it will be the 2nd and last time around...

Probably will use sites like this which is what I did before...As I've often said...we are only caretakers of the stuff we collect/love..

Anyone have any cool cars? ;)

The thought of bruce and farb's collections coming up for sale sometime in the future is both sad and exciting. Sad because I don't think there are better stewards of history than the two who wrote the book, and I can only hope those examples never fall into bubba hands decades down the line.
But nothing is incentive to work a little overtime like reading that we'll have a chance to own one or two of those rifles. Time to start saving.

I've been contemplating this very same thing recently...spent some time with a member of Scuderia recently and fell in love...

The accumulating of WW2 guns is fun but at heart I LOVE cars...and for various reasons (my interest, a lack of shooting the guns I collect, daughter who isn't into them, hell even political pressures) I've become more keenly aware of the need to disposition what I have. When I do it..it will be the 2nd and last time around...

Probably will use sites like this which is what I did before...As I've often said...we are only caretakers of the stuff we collect/love..

Anyone have any cool cars? ;)

It depends on your definition of cool, but I'm a huge BMW M fan. I've had a few different M3's over the years and have an M2 now. Hope to swing an M5 in the next year or two. I'm in my early 30's, so I can't go too crazy yet, but I'm hoping with some hard work and good investing to someday own a Ferrari.

To Bruce and Mrfarb's points, there are definitely going to be new collectors around to make sure the rifles in cherished collections end up in loving homes. That's the beauty of a site like this. Not only do nice rifles sell almost immediately, but you can easily see the join dates/post history/etc. of those that say "I'll take it".

Additionally, through the transaction, you build a relationship and learn about the seller/buyer and the history of the rifle. I just bought a rifle from a well known member here recently and found out through conversations with the seller that it was owned by another prominent member before him. There's really no better way to do it.

Over the past year I have been selling off the bulk of my collection, Many pieces to Forum members and a few things through Amoskeag. While this is partially to save my family the responsibility, it is mostly so I know that the pieces I have really enjoyed are in the hands of people I know will appreciate them as I have. That said, the few pieces I most often look at are staying until the end! ( I’ll leave instructions so my sons are not clueless!)

Last edited:
Well hell CLG, don't boggart them all... I'm in New Hampshire and there are a handful of us from the forum that meet up a few times a year for food and show and tell.

Military Rifle Journal
Back