Third Party Press

Classic Firearms Refurbs

I am wondering if one of the Mods would actually consider making a tab that discusses Refurb/Captured rifles?
I understand the point of this website is to focus and research historical examples but I believe refurbs and especially captured rifles are a variation in their own right. This would create a 'safe space' for newer collectors. I know my first k98 was an RC and that surplus rifle got me into collecting. Place and time.

Sure they are fools, but they are entitled to burn themselves, if the want to.

No money out of our pockets....

Plus, it removes them from the off chance that they might get into a bidding war, with a member, over a good gun.

Let them buy up all the dicked up guns they wish to, or can afford....

It's a win/ win situation if you ask me.....

The rifles are almost sold out!

If you need a laugh, you might read some of the customer comments. Many of them are “collectors.” Most of them would benefit from a remedial English course.

Last edited:
So I'm no expert, I have been looking, found this forum while trying to gather info on the guns classic has for sale. Considering to times we are in! It's still hard to justify that for a non-matching gun.
I was wanting a K98 for my 22yo son graduation present from Ole Miss.

I am wondering if one of the Mods would actually consider making a tab that discusses Refurb/Captured rifles?
I understand the point of this website is to focus and research historical examples but I believe refurbs and especially captured rifles are a variation in their own right. This would create a 'safe space' for newer collectors. I know my first k98 was an RC and that surplus rifle got me into collecting. Place and time.

Basically, the K98 Forum section at Gunboards has become just that. Most threads there are on post war used, or otherwise altered rifles, with an occasional thread on something in more original condition.

So I'm no expert, I have been looking, found this forum while trying to gather info on the guns classic has for sale. Considering to times we are in! It's still hard to justify that for a non-matching gun.
I was wanting a K98 for my 22yo son graduation present from Ole Miss.

My oldest son, Tom, went to Ole Miss, played football there for 5 years in the 1990s.

My younger brother Bill [ now deceased] had his law office in Oxford.

Bill was a classmate of John Grisham. Bill introduced me to John one afternoon while I was visiting Oxford.

Later Bill confided in me that it was good Grisham could write, because he was a terrible lawyer !!!!!

My oldest son, Tom, went to Ole Miss, played football there for 5 years in the 1990s.

My younger brother Bill [ now deceased] had his law office in Oxford.

Bill was a classmate of John Grisham. Bill introduced me to John one afternoon while I was visiting Oxford.

Later Bill confided in me that it was good Grisham could write, because he was a terrible lawyer !!!!!

That's cool! Most lawyers are terrible!!

I love my RC rifle. I've never had an issue collecting a rifle or bayonet that was captured. What other collectors passed over I was able to pick up and appreciate the history of a great rifle. My RC I kept in the condition that I purchased the rifle in. I didn't "clean it" up but left the red shellac. In
the future, once many have "restored" their RC trying to find one in the condition the Soviets refurbished them in will not be as easy. This probably will make them more desirable in the future, who knows, just a thought. To me, having an example of a captured rifle at a reasonable price is a lot better than a bubba rifle that we see people spending well over 1K on.

Last edited:
I love my RC rifle. I've never had an issue collecting a rifle or bayonet that was captured. What other collectors passed over I was able to pick up and appreciate the history of a great rifle. My RC I kept in the condition that I purchased the rifle in. I didn't "clean it" up but left the red shellac. In future, once many have "restored" their RC trying to find one in the condition the Soviets refurbished them in will not be as easy. This probably will make them more desirable in the future, who knows, just a thought. To me, having an example of a captured rifle at a reasonable price is a lot better than a bubba rifle that we see people spending well over 1K on.

I agree. As some have previously stated in round about ways, there's no reason for the stigma on RC's. It is a valid part of the rifle's history and should be appreciated as such by those that do. Sure, all matching and original is king, followed by un-messed with bolt M/M's, but RC's have their place in the mix. Bubba jobs like these that Classic likes to peddle just don't have a place in the same sense, all this is my opinion of course.

Owning a Russian Capture rifle is nothing to be be ashamed of. They have their place in history. The problem is when rotten bastards pimp them and try to pass them as 100% original pieces.

I agree. As some have previously stated in round about ways, there's no reason for the stigma on RC's. It is a valid part of the rifle's history and should be appreciated as such by those that do. Sure, all matching and original is king, followed by un-messed with bolt M/M's, but RC's have their place in the mix. Bubba jobs like these that Classic likes to peddle just don't have a place in the same sense, all this is my opinion of course.

I would agree too!

Military Rifle Journal
Back