Third Party Press
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sight hoods, repros and original

Default Sight hoods, repros and original

Thought it may be good to start a library of repro and original sight hoods. Guys, please add to the pics with known originals and known repros. I'll start with REPRODUCTIONS:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Hood finds

Here are my most recent finds. All appear original and were purchased quite cheaply. Different variations can be seen. The top 1 has has straight side and sharp edges. The next 1 has more rounded edges. The 3rd has the bottom corners turning more inside. The 4th hood on the extreme right is nearly the same as the second but is slighly more narrow inside. The bottom left 2 hoods are identical and very strong. The bottom right hood is more rounded and the bottom edges droop down more then the others.
    Live for today , Die tomorrow.

I had an Ebay bought sight hood, advertised as "Original German" that was anything but. Although well made and looked identical to an original, the finish was too new and most telling the fit was a bit loose in the groove, allowing the sight to be rocked a little. Apparently some repos are of thinner metal than original.

I finally found an original that fits very tight in the grooves and fortunately the bluing is worn to the the same degree as the finish on my rifle so it looks like it has always been there. Holding it next to the repro you could see how the repro was of slightly thinner material.

Quote Originally Posted by mto7464 View Post
    Hey ham,
    I am trying to get a group buy of cleaning rods and sight hoods from Mario. Have you seen any of his? He seems like a stand up guy and with all the stocks I would think his stuff to be legit.
    He is a stand up guy. From what I have seen there are some sight hoods in the Norwegian stocks that don't appear to be WW2 German. However, Mario knows the difference so you should be good.
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

Although I haven't looked at the pile of originals lots of guys on this forum have, I'm very familiar with metal work. Even within millions of parts made, there are variants. Metal finish, exact thickness of material, hardness of material, etc. Then dealing with WW2, you have to consider there would be several (at least) manufacturers of product. So say 10 iron plants made from scratch sight hoods from 1940 to 1945. You're talking serious variations, especially when they're making hundreds of thousands of the product. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by NRA View Post
    so far this is clear as mud? I have no idea what I am looking at? whats the difference, is something missing?
    I agree, which is why I posted those repros. I think we've reached a point where these bent pieces of spring steel bringing $20 or more ea. make excellent fakery quite profitable once you're tooled up. The ones in my post are advertised as reproduction. That's why a picture database on known repros would be helpful.

Heres 3 I currently have in my stash. I believe the one on the far left is post war/repo. I believe the two right ones are wartime. I suspect the hood in the middle is a G/K43 hood as its taller than most K98 hoods ive seen.
    Last edited by THunter; 02-13-2012 at 06:19 PM.

Here is one I really lucked into this past weekend at a small show...for $15...the guy had two, but only wanted to sell one, I went back and tried for the second one...no dice, maybe next show. It is definitely real, if I ever have to put it on, I'll need to get a jaws of life to open it up...this sucker is not springy! See how quickly someone guesses what its for...

I pictured it next to a 98k hood...

Quote Originally Posted by pzjgr View Post
    Here is one I really lucked into this past weekend at a small show...for $15...the guy had two, but only wanted to sell one, I went back and tried for the second one...no dice, maybe next show. It is definitely real, if I ever have to put it on, I'll need to get a jaws of life to open it up...this sucker is not springy! See how quickly someone guesses what its for...

I pictured it next to a 98k hood...
    G33/40.

Nice score

Quote Originally Posted by GUNHEEP View Post
    I have a sight hood that is marked with a letter "B" inside a box...any help?
    Yugoslavian postwar marking.
    WTB/WTT: (1)late E/H marked bcd stock either standard or semi-Kriegs; (2)unnumbered late MO Zf-41 stock, Kriegs or standard stock; (3)transitional late unnumbered type dot stock which uses bandspring and has bayo mount but no cleaning rod hole; (4)unnumbered byf standard stock as typically found on some byf 44 K and L block rifles; (5)unnumbered E/H bnz standard stock as typically found on bnz.4 and bnz 44 N, O, and P block rifles; (6)any bnz Kriegsmodell stock either with E/H or without