Third Party Press

This is the sellers description:

For sale all original WW1 1918 man. Colt 1911 Black Army pistol.# This is an excellent example of this 1911 variation as built mid 1918.# This example shows the wartime finish that gave rise to the term "Black Army".# This example remains in its original configuration as manufactured.# The bore rates as very good plus with sound rifling and slight corrosion between the grooves.# All markings are crisp. $1500 plus shipping. Click on pics for larger images

serial number:555400

Still waiting on pics

I am pleasantly surprised to say that it looks correct from what is visible.

It seems to have all pre-1924 small parts, such as a short-tang grip safety, long wide-spur hammer, and an under-cut slide stop.

I will stipulate that there are some real subtleties on the small parts, including variations of the long hammers, such as whether the checkering is bordered or not.

One thing to confirm, for sure, is that it has the correct barrel in it. It should have an inter-laced HP barrel.

Good luck.

I am pleasantly surprised to say that it looks correct from what is visible.

It seems to have all pre-1924 small parts, such as a short-tang grip safety, long wide-spur hammer, and an under-cut slide stop.

I will stipulate that there are some real subtleties on the small parts, including variations of the long hammers, such as whether the checkering is bordered or not.

One thing to confirm, for sure, is that it has the correct barrel in it. It should have an inter-laced HP barrel.

Good luck.

Great! still waiting on the pictures but assuming she checks out, what would she be worth?

This might be a stupid question as well but how do we tell if this was a service pistol or a commercial pistol?

This might be a stupid question as well but how do we tell if this was a service pistol or a commercial pistol?

It wouldn't be marked United States Property if it was a commercial model, which also has a totally different serial number range. That is a pretty basic question. This looks like a very legit pistol, so if you really are that much of a newbie, you've actually lucked out by stumbling onto this one.

It wouldn't be marked United States Property if it was a commercial model, which also has a totally different serial number range. That is a pretty basic question. This looks like a very legit pistol, so if you really are that much of a newbie, you've actually lucked out by stumbling onto this one.

Thanks! I guess I didn't luck out though because the seller sold to another buyer. I guess ill keep looking :rofl:

Legit collector grade 1911's like this one in Canada seem to be like finding hens teeth for sale. Any recommendations for a modern shooter to buy until the right one pops up?

Last edited:
No worries my friend, plenty of fish in the sea.

Unfortunately, I don’t know much about modern ones, so I can’t be much help there.

Thanks! I guess I didn't luck out though because the seller sold to another buyer. I guess ill keep looking :rofl:

Legit collector grade 1911's like this one in Canada seem to be like finding hens teeth for sale. Any recommendations for a modern shooter to buy until the right one pops up?

Military Rifle Journal
Back