Third Party Press

Question on gas cylinder operation and removal on ac44 A block rifle.

Joseph Burke

I have an a block ac44 G43 and it has the correct first model cylinder (bottom in the attached image). My question: how does this cylinder operate compared to the later types (I have a few later types)? My question specifically is should that cylinder move when the rifle is cycled like the later types? Mine does not nor am I able to move it. The rod coming from it that pushes the bolt group rearward moves freely but the cylinder itself does not. So, is my cylinder frozen and/or does it unscrew to remove it? I've not tried to do anything with it yet.
cylgas11.jpgIMG_6910.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6911.jpg
    IMG_6911.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
I have an a block ac44 G43 and it has the correct first model cylinder (bottom in the attached image). My question: how does this cylinder operate compared to the later types (I have a few later types)? My question specifically is should that cylinder move when the rifle is cycled like the later types? Mine does not nor am I able to move it. The rod coming from it that pushes the bolt group rearward moves freely but the cylinder itself does not. So, is my cylinder frozen and/or does it unscrew to remove it? I've not tried to do anything with it yet.
View attachment 251899View attachment 251900

I’d think they’d operate like the others. Where they slide over the piston rearward and push on the connecting rod and hits the bolt carrier. I’d imagine yours might be frozen from rust on either the piston or the gas cylinder, or both. I’d recommend using a penetrating oil like kroil and let it soak for 24 hours to try and loosen it.

Most likely someone shot it with corrosive ammunition years ago and never cleaned the gas system properly. As others have stated Kroil oil works wonders!

Military Rifle Journal
Back