Third Party Press

Need Help Identifying code 42 1939 k98

unsure if i can post this here but i picked up a vet bring back code 42 1939 k98 all matching numbers down to the firing pin only thing is i know the cupped buttplate is not right as it didnt show up till the 40's but the stock serial number matches the rest of the rifle also the X tells me its an RC but unsure i know the Germans used letters after some serials and its not a mismatching rifle like most RC and no shellac on the stock and no electro penciling possibly a German rearnsenal??

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ABlJWHAY8p8OUzDOOxwfyTvmI0jwm_1O?usp=sharing these are the pictures

Last edited:
It's not an RC bubba special. It's got an honest matched bolt. The stock looks to be a gustloff product , but you never posted pics of serial markings on or in wood , or the barrel channel markings. As well as any lot/date markings on wood under buttplate. It could have been a field level replacement , maybe a depot repair/salvage. But without seeing how wood is serialed/marked no way to tell. Handguard looks to be solid walnut - how is it serialed internally and is there a proof on the exterior still ?.
The "X" under your serial is the letter block for the serial. Nothing to do with Russian rebuild garbage.

.. you never posted pics of serial markings on or in wood , or the barrel channel markings. As well as any lot/date markings on wood under buttplate. It could have been a field level replacement , maybe a depot repair/salvage. But without seeing how wood is serialed/marked no way to tell. Handguard looks to be solid walnut - how is it serialed internally and is there a proof on the exterior still ?.
The "X" under your serial is the letter block for the serial. Nothing to do with Russian rebuild garbage.

This. I think there was a 2nd thread on this rifle. Would still love to see more photos of the wood. Barrel channel and under the butt plate. Your assumptions are correct regarding this piece.

Military Rifle Journal
Back