Third Party Press

Poulin Antiques - has anyone dealt with them?

I’ve bought from them in person. Always a good experience and they do have a good return policy unlike many auctions.

I have yet to buy from them, but having grown dissatisfied with the local house I've been dealing with, recently decided to give them a try and took the long drive to consign a few pieces with them. The story thus far; I was blown away with the reception I received. Warm welcome and on the spot assessment and appraisals. The people clearly know what they are looking at, they aren't a bunch of hacks say, selling used cars. About a month after I dropped off my items, I received an email, they had written up my items for the catalog and were seeking approval and input for the descriptions. I also received another email asking would I be attending the sale and did I need accommodations as they had arrangements with a well known name in the hospitality industry. The sale has yet to occur so I can't comment on that, but if there is interest here, I can report back.

Here is one of their offerings. Comments please

DESCRIPTION

Cal. 8mm Mauser. S# 1736I. Bbl. 23 5/8". Scarce pre-WW2 Model 98K rifle mfg. by Erfurter Maschinenfabrik (ERMA) dated 1938. All matching numbers including buttstock. Left receiver rail marked in gothic “Mod. 98”. Receiver ring marked on top w/ “27” & “1938”. Receiver ring & bbl. marked on left side w/ straight wing eagle proofs. Receiver marked on right side w/ 3 waffenamt 280. Bbl. marked on top over chamber “7.92”. Tangent rear sight graduated to 2000m. Inverted V front sight. Cleaning rod is not present. Bayonet lug. “H” type upper band. Solid lower band. Provision for side sling. Steel takedown hole. Flat buttplate. Trigger guard w/ locking screws. Floorplate has straight wing eagle. Forward end of trigger guard 2 waffenamt 280. Laminated stock set. Buttstock marked at bottom behind pistol grip w/ S#. CONDITION: stock set has light wear, staining, dents & scratches throughout. Notable 1" gouge on lower right side of buttstock. Area of chipping at toe. Metal retains 60% original blue finish w/ wear, spots of missing finish, scattered sm. dents & scratches. Good bore, shiny but w/ lightly worn lands.(20-2237/RW).

DESCRIPTION

Cal. 8mm Mauser. S# 1736I. Bbl. 23 5/8". Scarce pre-WW2 Model 98K rifle mfg. by Erfurter Maschinenfabrik (ERMA) dated 1938. All matching numbers including buttstock. Left receiver rail marked in gothic “Mod. 98”. Receiver ring marked on top w/ “27” & “1938”. Receiver ring & bbl. marked on left side w/ straight wing eagle proofs. Receiver marked on right side w/ 3 waffenamt 280. Bbl. marked on top over chamber “7.92”. Tangent rear sight graduated to 2000m. Inverted V front sight. Cleaning rod is not present. Bayonet lug. “H” type upper band. Solid lower band. Provision for side sling. Steel takedown hole. Flat buttplate. Trigger guard w/ locking screws. Floorplate has straight wing eagle. Forward end of trigger guard 2 waffenamt 280. Laminated stock set. Buttstock marked at bottom behind pistol grip w/ S#. CONDITION: stock set has light wear, staining, dents & scratches throughout. Notable 1" gouge on lower right side of buttstock. Area of chipping at toe. Metal retains 60% original blue finish w/ wear, spots of missing finish, scattered sm. dents & scratches. Good bore, shiny but w/ lightly worn lands.(20-2237/RW).

The description sounds real nice but in order to have collectors here give you an honest opinion, a full set of clear detailed pictures of all serial numbers and proof marks on all the metal and wood of this k98 are needed.

The description sounds real nice but in order to have collectors here give you an honest opinion, a full set of clear detailed pictures of all serial numbers and proof marks on all the metal and wood of this k98 are needed.

Unfortunately, this auction only furnishes a single “long range” photo. That’s why I wanted to know how trustworthy these guys were!

If I decide to bid on this rifle I won’t go over six hundred bucks. With all the fees and shipping I will have to pay the final number will be over eight. I’d like a flat butt plate “H” band rifle to go with my 44 byf. If it doesn’t work out I’m willing to wait.

They are good but not Mauser experts. I bought several over the years where there were (small) details left out of the description that made a difference in how I'd bid but it's a typical pitfall if you're online bidding. I like to see things in-hand. Its a killer drive but there is a breakfast place just down the road where the griddle cakes overhang the plate. Auction house was kind of tight and small compared to ones I'm accustomed to. Appeared to be an old apple barn. Nice B&B nearby too. They also had some type of fee they added unless you are a resident of Maine, unsure if they still do.

They are good but not Mauser experts. I bought several over the years where there were (small) details left out of the description that made a difference in how I'd bid but it's a typical pitfall if you're online bidding. I like to see things in-hand. Its a killer drive but there is a breakfast place just down the road where the griddle cakes overhang the plate. Auction house was kind of tight and small compared to ones I'm accustomed to. Appeared to be an old apple barn. Nice B&B nearby too. They also had some type of fee they added unless you are a resident of Maine, unsure if they still do.

There are two ERMA rifles I’m interested in. The other one has a mismatched buttplate so the stock is probably a mismatch too. I’m not looking for a “matcher” anyway so if I bid it will be a mixmaster bid.

I don’t know why they don't have better photos.

The place is a bit far away from me down here in Texas!

Some of the top shelf items they have in their auctions bring people from all over but yeah, I wouldn't drive to TX or OK for an auction so I hear you there.

Without a good in hand look or better photos it is a real gamble....

It is a gamble, but if you assume the worst, that the rifle is a mixmaster but not a “re-furbished” capture rifle and bid accordingly, it is probably a calculated gamble.

There are two ERMA rifles being offered. The other one has a mis-match buttplate so I am assuming that the entire stock is a mismatch. It will go for less. I just want an earlier rifle with an H band, a walnut stock and a flat buttplate. I’m not worried so much about all-matching numbers. I won’t overbid. If I don’t get it I won’t be disappointed. Maybe I’ll find another Texan who has one he doesn’t need any more!

It’s always better to buy locally using “Benjamins”and avoid all the extra expenses!

Military Rifle Journal
Back