Third Party Press

Late war oddity: dot44 98k with bnz41 receiver

Njg1

Hi,

As my first thread here I'd like to share with you this curiosity.

It is a late dot44 rifle, assembled with a bnz41 receiver.
As far as I know these rifles can be found between "ao" and "ar" blocks and can be found either with proper dot44 markings or several other markings (byf41 , VZ24 , S/243 1937, ar 44 , dou 43, …).

Mine is located in the "ap" block, has been assembled with a bnz receiver while being only marked with Brno's WaA63. It is fitted with late war component such as "qnw" trigger guard, late barrel bands and spring, "lxr" ammo elevator and so on.
Only piece MM is the striker pin nut.

It came as pictured here with original sling and sight hood still fitted. Straight from an attic in eastern France. Has not been cleaned in any way.

Hope you will like it as much as I do :happy0180:
Njg

IMG_E0071.jpg IMG_E0072.jpg IMG_E0073.jpgIMG_E0074.jpg IMG_E0075.jpg IMG_E0076.jpg IMG_0077.jpg IMG_E0078.jpg

Very interesting example and I'm really glad you resisted any urge to clean it! Cheers to that! Thanks for sharing this.

Nice rifle !
My K98 was in the attic in eastern EU for last 75 years.
byf 42 #2750 all matching numbers in very good condition and with original very used sling.:laugh:
!cid_AF691390-5F5A-413E-8F25-4ED6F0712010.gif

Thanks everyone for your replies and thank you Ham for posting other examples of these rifles. I'll keep posting what I got then :biggrin1:

@guillaume : the rifle will indeed be cleaned. I do insist on "cleaned" and not "restored". When I get new stuff I simply wash off the rust and do nothing more. I'm using steel brush on Dremel tool, all soaked in oil. The key is to never let it dry. In my opinion it allows to reach every space where rust is and does not harm the original finish for as long as you go softly on it and keep things wet :censored:

@NTA: I did have a nice matching byf42 too. It was supposed to be sold to me by a local huntsman. The guy gave it to me for almost two years until he knew what price he would ask for. Sadly someday he changed his mind and I had to give the rifle back…
Here it is, Byf42 #5** y block, gone but not forgotten…

DSCN4104.jpg

That’s a really neat one. I like the rejection(?) asterisk on the rear bridge! Maybe why that receiver was still hanging around.

these are the only dot's that get me interested... and this one has it all going on !! And that ser # !! 15 wow love it congrats !!

That’s a really neat one. I like the rejection(?) asterisk on the rear bridge! Maybe why that receiver was still hanging around.

I like that asterisk on the bridge too, neat place for it. Agree, that's why it was still around. Lovely white glue dot stock too.

Thanks for comments ;) I agree with you all, if it was used at some point by bnz it should bear some 77 or 623 WaA's. Which are nowhere to be found

Njg

the rifle will indeed be cleaned. I do insist on "cleaned" and not "restored". When I get new stuff I simply wash off the rust and do nothing more. I'm using steel brush on Dremel tool, all soaked in oil. The key is to never let it dry. In my opinion it allows to reach every space where rust is and does not harm the original finish for as long as you go softly on it and keep things wet

are you kidding me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you will ruin that rifle WTF is wrong with you coarse clothe and or bronze wool

you going to ruin this rifle, to make it look pretty

worst possible thing you could do except a power wheel WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Njg, sprat has not minced his words, but he is right : try cloth and bronze wool first.

This and what Sprat said. Nothing more abrasive than bronze wool or bronze gun cleaning brush with oil (ballistol). Keep the wool and brush clean so they do not pick up rust and make it a steel abrasive. Do not clean rust to shiny bare metal, you’ll have gone too far. It’s still here after 75 years so even simply a light wipe of ballistol and proper storage and it won’t get any worse in your lifetime. Far more collectible firearms have been ruined by cleaning than by being left alone ;)
Cheers,
HB

Joking apart, I thought you would realize that I'm not going to rework the rifle with a grinder. The point here was just to share experiences with Guillaume, It didn't meant I'm going to fully restore this one.
I've tried many things over the years and I always appreciate a good piece of advice. I've never tried this bronze wool so why not give it a shot…

Here are some shots of my "ruining" of firearms (dedicated threads shall come). I might be unexperienced regarding to others, doesn't make me a dumbass for all I know :laugh:

IMG_0133.jpg 20190215_112108.jpg 20190312_111128.jpg

Thanks everyone for replies
Njg

Military Rifle Journal
Back