Third Party Press

What Mauser model did this gun start out as?

Greetings to the Board from a 1st-time poster - and apologies in advance if this post is inappropriate or in the wrong place.

I just recently inherited a sporterized Mauser deer rifle from a late uncle, who got the original gun from an older brother who served as a medic with the 63rd Infantry Division toward the end of WW2 in Germany. Unfortunately, and apparently sometime in the late 1950s or early 1960s, my uncle had the gun sporterized. It now has a Bushnell scope mounted on a Marbles Gamegetter see-through mount, a sporter stock, etc. Even more sadly, all of the "top-side" barrel and receiver numbers and markings were apparently removed before the metal was reblued.

I am a deer hunter myself, and plan to try this gun out in the Pennsylvania woods in the 2021 season. In the meantime, the gun needs some TLC and I would like to try to determine what it started out as - with only a few clues to go by, and no experience identifying these early Mausers. I'm posting here in the hope that more knowledgeable members may be able to shed some light on my gun's origins, so thanks in advance. A few images attached.

The gun seems to have an after-market (i.e., non-military) ~23" round barrel with a rib that runs the whole length of the barrel and carrying an open rear sight with one leaf. The barrel has the larger .323" bore. The initials "H.M." are stamped into the bottom of the barrel.

HM.jpg

trigger mkgs.jpg

under rcvr mkgs.jpg

bolt head.jpg

rear sight.jpg

You would need to do many more pictures just to guess with any confidence. However, assuming it is a Modell98 variation, a Gewehr98 receiver, it was a postwar (WWII) occupation pick-up, - which often means Bavaria - and the "G" at the front of the receivers underside, it could be a Amberg/1916-1917 Gewehr98 receiver.

That is a wild guess based upon next to nothing, but with the pictures chosen the best guess possible. Try and do more pictures of markings, the bolt components or acceptance, these can be matched to makers and dates sometimes, especially if is a Amberg G98....

Thanks

Sorry - those images show all of the markings I can find.

What other bolt components would it be helpful to see, keeping in mind that the original safety wing has been replaced by an after-market, low-profile Buehler lever?

Thanks

Any markings can help, the structure of the bolt handle could matter, the sleeve and striker could have unique markings that could aid identification. Much depends upon whether this was a rifle converted from an original state or an assembly of unrelated components, but the first step is seeing all markings. Next is to examine the individual parts, there are slight differences between G98, 98a, 98b. 98k bolts for instance, same with trigger guards and barrels (though your barrel is probably non-military).

Really, little can be said with the few pictures so far provided, though it is very possible more photographs will not help, answers or clues can be so defaced that identification is impossible.

Greetings to the Board from a 1st-time poster - and apologies in advance if this post is inappropriate or in the wrong place.

I just recently inherited a sporterized Mauser deer rifle from a late uncle, who got the original gun from an older brother who served as a medic with the 63rd Infantry Division toward the end of WW2 in Germany. Unfortunately, and apparently sometime in the late 1950s or early 1960s, my uncle had the gun sporterized. It now has a Bushnell scope mounted on a Marbles Gamegetter see-through mount, a sporter stock, etc. Even more sadly, all of the "top-side" barrel and receiver numbers and markings were apparently removed before the metal was reblued.

I am a deer hunter myself, and plan to try this gun out in the Pennsylvania woods in the 2021 season. In the meantime, the gun needs some TLC and I would like to try to determine what it started out as - with only a few clues to go by, and no experience identifying these early Mausers. I'm posting here in the hope that more knowledgeable members may be able to shed some light on my gun's origins, so thanks in advance. A few images attached.

The gun seems to have an after-market (i.e., non-military) ~23" round barrel with a rib that runs the whole length of the barrel and carrying an open rear sight with one leaf. The barrel has the larger .323" bore. The initials "H.M." are stamped into the bottom of the barrel.

View attachment 252572

View attachment 252573

View attachment 252574

View attachment 252575

View attachment 252576

Looks like a guild gun. Very European style rib and rear sight on that barrel. How is the bolt handle been reshaped ?.

This looks like a post war build to me. What some call a "cigarette gun".

The quality is NOT what a pre-war "guild" rifle would be. Guild rifle itself is a misnomer. None the less it is a common term to describe them...

I would wager more pictures provided, we will see a K98k sporterized into a basic hunting rifle. It may likely have been further sporterized here in the states. It very well may have been completely sporterized in the states. It is hard to say. I would guess based on what I see, it was scrubbed and sporterized in europe post WWII.

Military Rifle Journal
Back