Third Party Press

Very Early Steyr bnz45 Volkssturm Rifle with Armorer Parts

Absolut

I've mentioned this rifle several times in a few posts in here, so I contacted the owner of it again to get my hands upon it for inspection and pictures. To make the story short, I did get my hands on it, plus it even changed ownership, so I can now proudly call it my own. Small side note, he is also the one where I got the bnz45 Kriegsmodell K98k rifle with the emergency clothing sling from (this one here: http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?33514-bnz-45-with-clothing-sling-from-a-farm ) - except that he in the meantime had cleaned the other rifle that his father has hidden away in 1945.

It is an odd rifle, especially for two details: the bolt is a fully unserialized, but S/42 marked with Eagle 63 acceptance on bottom. I therefore assume this is an armorers replacement part. Same applies to the rest of the bolt assembly, fully unserialized. Worth mentioning, the gas shield that doesn't even have the retaining pin with the spring.
Second, the front sight: this is not what one would expect with a Volkssturm rifle, the welded on front sight. This one is also an armorers replacement part that is S/42K marked at the front, so very early production from 1935. It doesn't have any serials on it, so it can only be an armorers part. Despite of this the barrel is counterbored.

Am I'm to assume that Steyr during production also used up any armorers parts at hand, or would it be more likely this rifle got damaged in the field and an armorer repaired it, despite that late in war?

Attachments

• bnz45_01.jpg
    bnz45_01.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 149
  • bnz45_02.jpg
    bnz45_02.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 118
  • bnz45_03.jpg
    bnz45_03.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 100
  • bnz45_04.jpg
    bnz45_04.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 104
  • bnz45_05.jpg
    bnz45_05.jpg
    287 KB · Views: 106
  • bnz45_06.jpg
    bnz45_06.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 101
  • bnz45_07.jpg
    bnz45_07.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 111
  • bnz45_08.jpg
    bnz45_08.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 96
  • bnz45_09.jpg
    bnz45_09.jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 97
  • bnz45_10.jpg
    bnz45_10.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 105
  • bnz45_11.jpg
    bnz45_11.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 100
  • bnz45_12.jpg
    bnz45_12.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 102
  • bnz45_13.jpg
    bnz45_13.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 100
Exceptional condition rifle. Also, the radius for the fore stock cut is rather abrupt.
Also, the bolt in mine is without the plunger and spring in the gas shroud. Makes cycling the bolt a challenge when the back half tries to unscrew during operation.

Last edited:
Can you take photos of the markings under the barrel?

Not sure whether your question referred to the underside of the barrel or of the stock under the barrel I took pictures of both - but only mobile phone shots.

The barrel channel is fully void of any markings. The barrel is EI (?) marked, followed by the bnz1 shield (plus a 5 on the very underside of the barrel).

Attachments

• E03D9F2C-D2B8-4F60-AF1F-B4E0B352EC32.jpeg
    E03D9F2C-D2B8-4F60-AF1F-B4E0B352EC32.jpeg
    129.4 KB · Views: 66
  • E4899D5D-7764-47C1-9843-6905B1C472E5.jpeg
    E4899D5D-7764-47C1-9843-6905B1C472E5.jpeg
    165.5 KB · Views: 80
Not sure whether your question referred to the underside of the barrel or of the stock under the barrel I took pictures of both - but only mobile phone shots.

The barrel channel is fully void of any markings. The barrel is EI (?) marked, followed by the bnz1 shield (plus a 5 on the very underside of the barrel).

Thanks Absolut,
I believe you have proven that it's an original VG1 barrel!:happy0180:
The bolt doesn't appear to be notched to prevent the turning of the bolt sleeve, Is this a fact?
Also, Is this a Menzel "C" stock?

Thanks Absolut,
I believe you have proven that it's an original VG1 barrel!:happy0180:
The bolt doesn't appear to be notched to prevent the turning of the bolt sleeve, Is this a fact?
Also, Is this a Menzel "C" stock?

Stock is K/L block range Oberndorf

Stock is K/L block range Oberndorf

Thanks Clay,
Is there any way to be certain that this stock was not cut down and fitted with the sling swivel post war? Is there a precedent for a vk with a cut down stock that was not from Steyr? The bolt is also is not numbered either as per regulations. I mean no disrespect to Absolut, but I can't help but be curious.

Last edited:
I am concerned about the stock NOT being a Steyr stock.

I personally have not seen any other stock used on an original period gun since I started collecting 50 years ago, at the age of 23.

Ditto with the bolt.

Not to cast aspersions, but these bother me, as does the front sight.

Do not get upset, just understand my doubts.....

Don't worry, not upset. I posted here for opinions, that is what I'm getting, so all fine. Yes, that rifle is very weird. It is an extremely early Volkssturm rifle, hence I had considered the possibilities that armorers parts are used, as well as that the rifle got field repaired by an armorer. Where else should these parts originate?

They probably installed that front sight base when they cut the barrel down, probably removed the welded on front sight at that time, it’s not period done in my opinion. The barrel is shortened. Also, I have an early VK98 and it’s very typical as far as parts, all Steyr and fully numbered. These rifles were not in the Army depot system, they were no army rifles and should not be serviced by them, the Volkssturm were controlled by the party apparatus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't notice this, barrel seems indeed a bit too short compared to a normal K98k rifle. So what is your guess then? Based on the origin I fully doubt anything on this rifle has been altered post 1945. If you don't think this was Steyr factory, could this maybe been damaged in the field and repaired with armorers parts?

If Armorers cut down the barrel, why counterbore it if you intend to use a soldered on front base unless you simply were trying to maintain that VG5 look.
Altering an MO stock to VG5 configuration is odd too. All of this would have meant that the muzzle, front sight bolt and stock would all have to have been somehow lost or severely damaged on the original.
Very curious and confusing. I also can't help but believe that this work was likely done by, or for a collector, post war.
:facepalm:

Last edited:
All of this work could have been done at any time. To say you don't think it was post 1945 is just as good as me saying it was post 1945, no proof. The real answer, nobody cared about fixing VK98 rifles in March of 1945, they were brand new. Can you imagine an armorer of any type working on one of these pieces of crap? I can't. They would have just thrown it away.

My opinion only - a more likely scenario is someone restored a damaged action later and added some parts to make it look right. My opinion only. I could totally be wrong just as you could be. These one off or weird examples can never be verified. It will look good hanging on a wall or in your collection as an oddball.

Here is a link to my early VK98: http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?23307-Early-3-digit-serial-VK98-bnz45-396

Military Rifle Journal
Back