Third Party Press

Alternatives to Gunbroker

BoltyMcBoltFace

In my ongoing hunt for a Kar98k to call my own I wanted to ask you all something that my Googlefu failed me.

Are there commercial websites available that stock good quality Kar98ks? Something along the lines of Edelweissarms.com but focusing more on WW2/German rifles?

Gunbroker remains a possibility but I'm always looking for more buying options to expand my search radius.

In my ongoing hunt for a Kar98k to call my own I wanted to ask you all something that my Googlefu failed me.

Are there commercial websites available that stock good quality Kar98ks? Something along the lines of Edelweissarms.com but focusing more on WW2/German rifles? Gunbroker remains a possibility but I'm always looking for more buying options to expand my search radius.

There are a few commercial Militaria gun stores with websites, but not sure I can recommend... they are as hit or miss as is GB. Bottom-line.... you gotta know the stuff, or call a friend/ mentor...

Here are some thoughts on GB...

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread...Why-GB-is-a-decent-option&highlight=gunbroker

wow in the age of the internet

ok there are plenty of good dealers of all types. expect to pay simpson, legacy, salter etc. if you are inexperience or have a fair amount of knowledge of the subject you should stay way from auctions, firearms auction sites

go to larger fun shows they always have a good variety of of collectibles

post your wants HERE

do your research, I feel I need to say this every day, research, its free here and on the net, do not impulse buy

TSMG is looking for MP-40 items. in the course of my week of hitting the boards here and in the EU, original items pop up daily. TSMG should have opened my post on MP-44 mags, I recently posted,
if he had he would seen that BRP has plenty of mags & loaders. they did have pouches.

I've got lucky on GunBroker a couple times but the best deals I've ever done are between friends. The best guns I've ever come across we're at gun shows but I'm glad I was able to contact a couple guys here for a second opinion when I came across them.

You’ve already stumbled on the best place to buy a K98k. Right here. They might not always be readily available at the drop of a hat and they go quickly when they are listed, but these guys here won’t steer you wrong and most know their stuff. And questions on posted items are always welcome. This forum is the #1 place in the world to get correct information on K98s.

You’ve already stumbled on the best place to buy a K98k. Right here. They might not always be readily available at the drop of a hat and they go quickly when they are listed, but these guys here won’t steer you wrong and most know their stuff. And questions on posted items are always welcome. This forum is the #1 place in the world to get correct information on K98s.

Bingo. I've only been collecting for a short time now and I've already got one beautiful rifle with another on the way. Both from this site.

I still check Gunbroker every now and then, but it's hard to find any gems in between the mass of auctions from Mauser1937 and other turd peddlers. :facepalm:

101 private deals are the best whether it involves a handshake or not. , cash in hand saw something one time

lets say that P-38 is for sale for $ 1,400, I pull out a wad of cash and thrown down $ 1,200 works every time

if you want/need something bad enough and you have to go the commercial route always be on your guard, because you can't feel it smell to evaluate it, its rolling the dice

Thanks for the replies guys, I think I'll start doing some in-depth research.

Already know that I want an early war Kar98k with majority (~90%) matching numbers. I do intend to shoot the rifle semi-regularly so no display models or collector grade Mausers for me.

I recently saw this video from TFBTV and the rifle looks absolutely amazing to me, I really like the high-gloss blueing on it. If this one was for sale, I'd throw my bid in the ring immediately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcNJm9PKKGg&ab_channel=TFBTV

I'll keep my eye on the Trade forums.

Not sure what your budget is, but I count four matching K98k's on the trader now: S/42G, 1940 660, 1940 337, and a ce43.

Not sure what your budget is, but I count four matching K98k's on the trader now: S/42G, 1940 660, 1940 337, and a ce43.

S/42G and 337 are just a bit too out of my price range, and CE43 may not hold up on shooting sessions due to the repair.

660 1940 is interesting to me, but I also want to do more research and see what else pops up.

Honestly, I'd like to find a Kar98k very similar to the one in the video I posted earlier, but I suspect that those are incredibly rare and will cost a pretty penny.

S/42G and 337 are just a bit too out of my price range, and CE43 may not hold up on shooting sessions due to the repair.

660 1940 is interesting to me, but I also want to do more research and see what else pops up.

Honestly, I'd like to find a Kar98k very similar to the one in the video I posted earlier, but I suspect that those are incredibly rare and will cost a pretty penny.

The individual who is selling the 337 said he is open to negotiations on price. That to me is a nice rifle.

Also, that 660 is freaking sweet. Even if the stock has been sanded a bit an early Steyr rifle like that isn’t the most common thing. And it looks pretty honest otherwise. I would be into that if I didn’t live in Canada land lol. But Im partial to Steyr rifles anyways.

I am not an expert by any means. But Im pretty suspicious of the authenticity of that bnz 42 in the video. It almost looks too good. I actually own a bnz. 41 Kriegsmarine. Its a super pretty gun and does have a high gloss bluing and is in really nice shape, but even it isn’t that mint looking. Its got bluing loss on a lot of smaller parts and has specs of corrosion here and there, which is to be expected from a rifle that spent a lot of time around salt water. To me, that bnz 42 looks like a rifle that someone shined up/reblued post war to make it look super minty. They also chalked in every single serial number and marking on that rifle.

I could he wrong, but thats just my suspicion.

Last edited:
The individual who is selling the 337 said he is open to negotiations on price. That to me is a nice rifle.

Also, that 660 is freaking sweet. Even if the stock has been sanded a bit an early Steyr rifle like that isn’t the most common thing. And it looks pretty honest otherwise. I would be into that if I didn’t live in Canada land lol. But Im partial to Steyr rifles anyways.

I am not an expert by any means. But Im pretty suspicious of the authenticity of that bnz 42 in the video. It almost looks too good. I actually own a bnz. 41 Kriegsmarine. Its a super pretty gun and does have a high gloss bluing and is in really nice shape, but even it isn’t that mint looking. Its got bluing loss on a lot of smaller parts and has specs of corrosion here and there, which is to be expected from a rifle that spent a lot of time around salt water. Too me, that bnz 42 looks like a rifle that someone shined up/reblued post war to make it look super minty. They also chalked in every single serial number and marking on that rifle.

I could he wrong, but thats just my suspicion.

I'm starting to think the same thing, I haven't been able to find other examples of confirmed factory rifles with similar chalked in serial numbers and the bluing I've seen on 100% matching pristine Mausers haven't come close to the rifle in the video.

I'm definitely still looking at the rifles in the Trade Forum, just don't wanna rush in too quick and do some due diligence. :laugh:

There's an excellent thread on here on how to repair a duffle cut that will make the gun shootable and accurate.

I'm starting to think the same thing, I haven't been able to find other examples of confirmed factory rifles with similar chalked in serial numbers and the bluing I've seen on 100% matching pristine Mausers haven't come close to the rifle in the video.

I'm definitely still looking at the rifles in the Trade Forum, just don't wanna rush in too quick and do some due diligence. :laugh:

Have you found the picture reference index on here? I spend a lot of time on there looking through rifles. Its an awesome resource.

The trader forum is the best place to find rifles I think, especially if you are in the US. While none of my rifles have come directly from there, three of the five I own have come directly from other Canadian forum members. I think getting hooked in here is the best way to find reasonably priced authentic rifles, especially when our own knowledge is still pretty fresh.

Serial numbers were never originally chalked in, that's always been a thing that collectors have done to enhance the markings on a rifle. The rifle doesn't look right to me in that video. It's either been reblued or he has a ton of oil all over the metal.

Serial numbers were never originally chalked in, that's always been a thing that collectors have done to enhance the markings on a rifle. The rifle doesn't look right to me in that video. It's either been reblued or he has a ton of oil all over the metal.

Yeah not a fan either of the chalk. As for the metal I've heard used motor oil, vasoline, butchers wax... Someone else brought up (several times) about certain sellers every gun has the same 'look'

Yeah the picture index has been a great resource to see what authentic rifles look like.

I appreciate all the replies, I definitely joined the right group! I'll keep poking around and see what the Trade forum brings me for Christmas. :)

Military Rifle Journal
Back