Third Party Press

RWE sporter KAR98a

shootz

My first post. I hope it ok to post sporters.

I picked this one up at a show this weekend. I've been told it's a 1918-20, kar98a, Reichswerke Erfurt
Small ring, 20-ish barrel in 8mm.

sr-markings.jpg

sr-act-l1.jpg

sr-r-1.jpg

Well, at least it is very well done and not a chop job. It may not be a popular thing to say but I like it. For what it is.

It isn't sporterized, this is a postwar commercial rifle made up of leftover 98a components, made by the remnants of Erfurt. All the arsenals made them, Danzig most common, but Amberg and Erfurt's are well known. Look at the siderail, - the rifle is characteristic of others known.

It isn't sporterized, this is a postwar commercial rifle made up of leftover 98a components

Yes I think also. But I am not sure if components of the rifle are really from Erfurt.

Can you show us another picture from the receiver (translate Kammerstengel ?)

Can you find any German firing proof? They must exist.

What is on the picture here?
sr-act-l1.jpg

Who do you suggest made the 98a parts? Only Erfurt and Danzig made the Kar98a during the war, and Spandau stopped in 1910, Amberg 1911. Danzig sporters based upon Kar98a parts exist, actually are very common, probably because they had more latitude until 1921, with very little IAMCC scrutiny (they got a visit early on but almost nothing was done then... only when a scandal broke out were they really scrutinized and the decision to break up the plant was decided upon.)

The reality of the situation is that these Kar98a parts can only be Erfurt made parts. Danzig wouldn't have provided them and no one else made such parts. As for the fireproof, one exists on the barrel in the first picture, as is typical under the barrel- moving next to the serial didn't occur until the mid-1920's. The receivers usually have them in the typical locations (as on military models) but sometime the engraving on the top of the receiver obscures some of it.

The fireproofs are the Erfurt "chicken" style, not the Danzig style, and though Erfurt inspectors inspected Suhl makers, and Dresden, only Erfurt made the Kar.98a, further why would anyone desire leftover 98a parts from Erfurt in 1919-1922? They date to this period due to the facts of Erfurt's Deutsche Werke history; these are mentioned in violations by Deutsche Werke by the IAMCC. Most firms in 1919 wanted to find commercial ventures, most working the bicycle and small tool angles, which was typical of these small German rifle makers, - when tough times came they all made bicycles, motorcycles, tools or practical things always in demand during downturns.

These are not a new phenomena, they have been known for many years, they come with variations of siderail (GwF.E, Rw.E, and slight variation of the same.) the rifles also come in slightly different styles, - especially the Danzig jobs. Some have German commercial proofing along with the military style proofing, these would be rifles sold in Germany (private individual or club), as per German proof laws. For export this wouldn't be necessary, and it would depend on the country it was sent to (their laws).

Many leftwing fleabags like to refer to Germany as having gun bands, or bands on private ownership of firearms during the interwar period. Nothing could be further from the truth. There were restrictions, as in all "civilized" nations, hell even the nazis allowed gun ownership in many cases, but in the case of these rifles, most seem to have been sold for export (no German "commercial" proofs), as only a handful have German commercial proofing.

Last edited:
It isn't sporterized, this is a postwar commercial rifle made up of leftover 98a components, made by the remnants of Erfurt. All the arsenals made them, Danzig most common, but Amberg and Erfurt's are well known. Look at the siderail, - the rifle is characteristic of others known.

Excellent information Paul, that should have been plain to me, but.... :hail:

Thanks for straightening me out. Even if it had been a military rifle sporterized it is of high quality like many well done conversions post-WW2 that stand well on their own but so many refuse to see.

First, thank you shoots for the other pictures.
The bending from the receiver seems so untypical but maybe it is an optical illusion from me.

@SimsonSuhl
All German rifles get a firing proof until the law from 1891 – even for export! Perhaps later they change the law with act of disposal, but I can’t find in the next law (Beschußgesetz 07. Juni 1939) an advice for changing the old administration. Have you further information?

At every time in Germany you need a license to get a rifle. In the Nazi period only it was easier for the organizations of the NSDAP. Apart from that it was difficult like today.

The typical German trigger for huntsman here on this rifle is mostly used in Germany. I think an export is rare.

Yes, thank you, I know German proof laws adequately. These have fireproofs, - military fireproofs, quite acceptable when exporting as I said in the post. (which is self-evident because so many Danzig's are in the US, rarely do they have anything but military proofing and "GERMANY" somewhere on the rifle, - usually the stock but some got whacked on the receiver too)

Firearm ownership in Germany was possible during the nazi era. Organizations, nazi party types and individuals could own weapons under certain conditions. Much tighter I am sure than pre-1933 but whether they were more difficult than today isn't something I follow.

First, thank you shoots for the other pictures.
The bending from the receiver seems so untypical but maybe it is an optical illusion from me.

@SimsonSuhl
All German rifles get a firing proof until the law from 1891 – even for export! Perhaps later they change the law with act of disposal, but I can’t find in the next law (Beschußgesetz 07. Juni 1939) an advice for changing the old administration. Have you further information?

At every time in Germany you need a license to get a rifle. In the Nazi period only it was easier for the organizations of the NSDAP. Apart from that it was difficult like today.

The typical German trigger for huntsman here on this rifle is mostly used in Germany. I think an export is rare.

I am sure you know the German proof marks - without question.

But the problem for me is if detailed information exist that document the changing of this:

018.jpg 019.jpg 029.jpg

A lot of German rifles find the way in other countries illegal or legal however - especially after the two wars. You find so lot non military German rifles in the US because they are war captured. I think I don’t must you explain it and in this time the German specification not to care a fig for.

Ask a new German collector how to get al license and he will tell you the problems.

98a Sporter

shootz - Thanks for the posts on your rifle. Interesting to say the least. I thoroughly enjoy reading when Simson/Suhl really gets into his posting. We always learn a lot when he does.

Military Rifle Journal
Back