Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rejected bcd, byf hand stamped serials

Default Rejected bcd, byf hand stamped serials

Really happy with this example in walnut. Looks like E/1 inspection near the tang & side rail were early Gustloff issues. Appears to be assembled before the d-block in '44 as the sear and ejector box are serialed. Love the E/C10 in the handguard and the overall look.
    Attached Images Attached Images

email => K98@bobinohio.com

Sharp rifle, Bob. IMO, I think the receiver's issues would have been caught at the acceptance inspection at Astrawerke, so I doubt it ever made it Gustloff.

So are these handstamped byfs are a separate catch-all block like the n block?

Quote Originally Posted by RyanE View Post
    So are these handstamped byfs are a separate catch-all block like the n block?
    Absolutely. I have them separated in the byf 44/45 serial number sticky also.

Sharp rifle Bob. I am sure that more than a few of us would love to have it.
    WTB/WTT: (1)late E/H marked bcd stock either standard or semi-Kriegs; (2)unnumbered late MO Zf-41 stock, Kriegs or standard stock; (3)transitional late unnumbered type dot stock which uses bandspring and has bayo mount but no cleaning rod hole; (4)unnumbered byf standard stock as typically found on some byf 44 K and L block rifles; (5)unnumbered E/H bnz standard stock as typically found on bnz.4 and bnz 44 N, O, and P block rifles; (6)any bnz Kriegsmodell stock either with E/H or without

Thx Pisgah....

Here's some traffic from hand-stamped MO rifles... As I read this link, the above example has features from Jan-Mar '44 IMO and kinda different from the discussion below. The above rifle also has a 43 dated barrel & receiver, and the single E/135 on the TG make's it appear like a late 43/ early '44.

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread....stamped-series

Super Over the Top Moderator -1/2 bruce98k's Avatar

Default bcd MO assembled

I believe this run of handstamped rifles was a separate range as opposed to the later group of mainly ar44 coded examples.
    There are 2 samples from this run, both using bcd43 receivers. My example has a high 1943 barrel code and was likely assembled
    in the Jan-March time frame, given the full serial numbers on the TG/Floorplate.

Bob's example is just a tad higher but has the appended serial on the floorplate.

Eric, you may want to keep a separate serial number data base for this first handstamped series. Barrel codes and serials on the triggerguard
    will differentiate the two runs.

B.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ---- Turbo Myš ----

Nice rifle BiO. Pic stickied.

Default Info on my rifle

I don't know if this helps but the similar one in my collection is a bcd 4 marked receiver/Mauser 135 proofed and is SN # 440 n

Super Over the Top Moderator -1/2 bruce98k's Avatar

Default current thread

Jack thats a unique block with alot going on with 3 identified receiver codes - ar44, bcd 4, and byf 44.
    Production likely into 1945 for that block.

Likely scenario for unusual serial number ranges at Mauser Oberndorf are 1. First hand stamped series, 2nd hand stamped series, and the 'n' block.
    ---- Turbo Myš ----

Just wondering why these Astrawerke receivers (bcd43) were sold to MO. Not like Gustloff was stopping assembly?
    • Maybe the end of '43 and Gustloff just didn't want them??
    • Maybe rejected at Astrawerke and Gustloff just didn't want them??
    • Hard to believe MO had a receiver shortage??
    • Did Brunn I snag some of the bcd43 marked receivers for their '44 production?

So, I am responding to my own question... I'm reading a tad bit in Karem and Steves' volume 2, apparently these bcd receivers went to Mauser Berlin- Borsigwalde.... and then to MO when MBB shut down K98 operations. These miscellaneous receivers were then placed in a separate line of production in Oberndorf.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob in OHIO View Post
    Just wondering why these Astrawerke receivers (bcd43) were sold to MO. Not like Gustloff was stopping assembly?
    • Maybe the end of '43 and Gustloff just didn't want them??
    • Maybe rejected at Astrawerke and Gustloff just didn't want them??
    • Hard to believe MO had a receiver shortage??
    • Did Brunn I snag some of the bcd43 marked receivers for their '44 production?