Third Party Press

Matching BCD G43 no letter

jack944

Being a G-43 collector for a long time I know how hard it is to get this rifle in this condition. Earliest Gustloff production. This rifle has a machined action cover. Weaver's book said bcd didn't use them, but I respectfully disagree. I have held several and one was recently sold at RIA. Bcd G-43 production didn't last very long so these are tough to get in any condition really. This rifle has the full compliment of spare parts and book in the trap. The trigger is circle v marked and the mag release is 359 marked. My favorite G-43.

Attachments

• bcd1.jpg
    bcd1.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 279
  • bcd2.jpg
    bcd2.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 249
  • bcd3.jpg
    bcd3.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 234
  • bcd4.jpg
    bcd4.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 299
  • bcd5.jpg
    bcd5.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 218
  • bcd6.jpg
    bcd6.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 207
  • bcd7.jpg
    bcd7.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 185
  • bcd8.jpg
    bcd8.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 201
  • bcd9.jpg
    bcd9.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 262
  • bcd10.jpg
    bcd10.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
Congratulations on a very nice early BCD, any Waffenampts or markings on the milled action housing or the trigger guard? My b block has the circle "V" mark on nearly everything including the cleaning rod and rear sight parts, how is this one marked?

Thanks

Congratulations on a very nice early BCD, any Waffenampts or markings on the milled action housing or the trigger guard? My b block has the circle "V" mark on nearly everything including the cleaning rod and rear sight parts, how is this one marked?

The action cover is of course 214 proofed.. I will check on the other stuff.

Attachments

• bcd11.jpg
    bcd11.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
B block BCD Markings vs. No Letter Block Markings

Here's where some of the circle "V" marks are found on my example (see photos), it takes some searching but they should be there. Also check under the bolt to see if it has the large starburst marking. I have seen this on "A" and "B" block BCD rifles only. I'm curious at to this being on the "no letter" blocks as well. Does the stock have the eagle proof stamped in the sling frog cutout?

I am a bit confused as to why the milled action cover would be on this gun with a 214 WaA. The BCD rifles were assembled from parts produced by outside contractors and all the sheet metal action covers were marked WaAA44 produced by Merz Werke in Frankfurt. According to reports the rejected rifles were sent to Gustloff from Buchenwald for testing and repairs. Maybe this was a field repair as so many of the early rifles required rework due to sabotage as stated in Weavers book. interesting history on your rifle for sure. Any other opinions or thoughts?

Attachments

• DSC_0007_2.jpg
    DSC_0007_2.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC_0011_2.jpg
    DSC_0011_2.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC_0053_3.jpg
    DSC_0053_3.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC_0060_3.jpg
    DSC_0060_3.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC_0076_3.jpg
    DSC_0076_3.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC_0127_2.jpg
    DSC_0127_2.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC_0137.jpg
    DSC_0137.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC_0156.jpg
    DSC_0156.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC_0163.jpg
    DSC_0163.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC_0180.jpg
    DSC_0180.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC_0238.jpg
    DSC_0238.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 96
Marks

Here's where some of the circle "V" marks are found on my example (see photos), it takes some searching but they should be there. Also check under the bolt to see if it has the large starburst marking. I have seen this on "A" and "B" block BCD rifles only. I'm curious at to this being on the "no letter" blocks as well. Does the stock have the eagle proof stamped in the sling frog cutout?

I am a bit confused as to why the milled action cover would be on this gun with a 214 WaA. The BCD rifles were assembled from parts produced by outside contractors and all the sheet metal action covers were marked WaAA44 produced by Merz Werke in Frankfurt. According to reports the rejected rifles were sent to Gustloff from Buchenwald for testing and repairs. Maybe this was a field repair as so many of the early rifles required rework due to sabotage as stated in Weavers book. interesting history on your rifle for sure. Any other opinions or thoughts?

My theory on the cover is shared by others is that parts from duv were simply transferred to bcd like the Walther marked 359 parts. Duv supplied parts to bcd for 98k production in the same manner.

Great rifle there Jack! :thumbsup:

Any very early G43 is tough to find in a condition like this one.

I feel a 214 proofed part on a bcd produced rifle is perfectly possible, and has been seen many times before. Concidence, maybe, but unlikely. Given the situation at the time, just about anything could be possible on any given day. This could result in endless variations.

Do not forget, we have only seen a very small percentage of the total production, on any german WWII item. So, God only knows what other "variations" exist...

Being a G-43 collector for a long time I know how hard it is to get this rifle in this condition. Earliest Gustloff production. This rifle has a machined action cover. Weaver's book said bcd didn't use them, but I respectfully disagree.

Great rifle Jack! Pic stickied. I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that Weaver is absolutely wrong on that. I know where (I think an a block) bcd is with a matching action cover that is finely machined like a G.41 cover. If ole Weaver wants to bet a bunch of money on that I'll take the bet and give him odds :thumbsup:

Military Rifle Journal
Back