Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1934 "Banner" Mauser Serial # 92862

Default 1934 "Banner" Mauser Serial # 92862

Hi all….

Ok, here's another one that I don't know if it merits being a sticky or not, but I thought I'd show it here for everyone to enjoy …

1934 "Banner" Mauser Serial # 92862
    (Mfg by Mauser Werke AG, Oberndorf a/N)

(Click PIC to Enlarge)

(Click PIC to Enlarge)

1934 "Banner" Mauser 168 picture virtual tour (click here)

This old girl even has the early pattern K98k (10 hole) sling.

Regards,
    Doug

Beautiful and scarce. The quality of these early pieces is unreal.

It is the "highest" confirmed/known Mauser Banner K in really nice shape and original.

There are at least 3 rifles higher in serial and believed Mauser Banner K's but they are either mismatches or problem rifles.

Really a nice rifle!

Quote Originally Posted by SimsonSuhl View Post
    It is the "highest" confirmed/known Mauser Banner K in really nice shape and original.

There are at least 3 rifles higher in serial and believed Mauser Banner K's but they are either mismatches or problem rifles.

Really a nice rifle!
    Thanks Simson ...

So, this old girl is a bit of a rarity ? :shocked:

That's a pleasant surprise ... :biggrin:

I always wondered why it didn't have the postal or railway markings on the stock. Is the proper terminology (in collector parlance) for these rifles without the marks, "Banner K"?

I've also never understood why it came with the S/176k marked bayonet, although I must admit, I'm not an edged weapons collector so I haven't got a clue about it.

Anyway, as usual, appreciate the feedback. Capture whatever pics you need for your research.

Regards,
    Doug

Well there is hardly anything written on the variation, except in a few newsletter articles, however generally collectors call this particular variation the Mauser Bannner K as it has the Mauser Banner and is in the general Kar98k configuration. This rifle is basically comparable to the shortened Kar98b that beat the Mauser Standard-Modell in the 1929 trials (which became the Kar98k) – this was Mausers attempt to supply comparable rifles to those groups or agencies that would desire the military model.

Your rifle is beyond the so-called DRP range, but could have been sold to the Reichspost, or Reichsbahn but impossible to say, as it is unmarked. It is also past the Ch.d.A range but could have been sold to one of the paramilitary groups (SA/SS types).

It is hard to tell for sure, and I did not go into this with my article, as it is such a gray area, - we do not have enough “detailed” information. But it seems the Mauser Banner K is discontinued not long after your rifle was made, and they continued only with the Kar98k and the “export” Standard –Modell which was continued for foreign sales (Germany was desperate for hard currency because of nazi economic policy- I could go into the similarities to the obamanazis but it only raises my blood pressure..)

Anyway, little to nothing good on this subject in English and doubtful there will be anytime soon. Simply put to few detail their rifle adequately, and though it is true to say no one writes books, it is equally true to say too few share data for experienced collectors to be able to write books. I have collected data on the various Kar98k types for well over 10 years and for my article on the DRP Mauser Banner K I was able to rely on only 60 DRP type rifles, give or take half a dozen.

Imagine the clarity that would be possible if we had 1,000 rifles documented in the detail you provided with your rifle?

Hello Simson

i have serials
    92348 RC No Diamond
    94872 VB All Matching No Diamond

unles you have these already

Thanks Vaughn, I did not have either of these. Neither had the diamond at the end of the serial? Have one rc in this range w/o too (92948) but most have one?

What is VB? Vet bringback? How are the siderails, typical? You have the BC on either?

Quote Originally Posted by vaughn99 View Post
    Hello Simson

i have serials
    92348 RC No Diamond
    94872 VB All Matching No Diamond

unles you have these already

Quote Originally Posted by SimsonSuhl View Post

Imagine the clarity that would be possible if we had 1,000 rifles documented in the detail you provided with your rifle?
    Thanks Simson ..

I know what you mean about Obama .. ;) We've suffered through decades of Liberal majority governments up here in Canada that have effectively turned us into a "nanny" state. Free healthcare, free daycare, free dogcare, free welfare, but somebody has to pay for it and it's guys like me who have a 50%+ income tax rate, plus 18% in sales taxes, plus all kinds of user fees and taxes. So, don't get me going either, as this probably isn't the right venue for it. :biggrin:

Anyway, terrific additional background you've given me on my old girl. Appreciate it ...

I love doing these photo montages as I get to hide in the vault and do these to relax and get away from the stresses of real life and business issues. My wife can't understand why I'd spend about 4-6 hours going over every little part and taking hundreds of pics for just one rifle. :p

Glad you find them useful and please don't hesitate to take whatever you need, or reference the albums. Many of these montages have been up for over four years and the site we use is dedicated, so it's going to be on-line for many years to come.

I got really excited about this Banner K being the highest number you had so far in an all correct and validate state. :whoo:

.... until I saw Vaughn's information.

Darn you Vaughn ....

Regards,
    Doug

Super Over the Top Moderator -1/2 bruce98k's Avatar

Default Banner

Great info and presentation by both Badger and Paul.
    I will be covering these rifles in detail in Volume 1 and Mauser will be my first chapter and I will
    begin April 1 with the Banners and Standard Modells.

Hopefully, Jon Speed can lend some insight into this as well as collector submissions and continured
    detailed study.

Badger, I too am a specialized MO collector and really enjoy the posts.

Good to know this will be a focus for the new book!

No question Jon Speed will be a tremendous asset to the subject. I hope he can find more on the 1929 trials and the early Standard-Modell especially.. two topics that are very difficult to find information on!

Quote Originally Posted by bruce98k View Post
    Great info and presentation by both Badger and Paul.
    I will be covering these rifles in detail in Volume 1 and Mauser will be my first chapter and I will
    begin April 1 with the Banners and Standard Modells.

Hopefully, Jon Speed can lend some insight into this as well as collector submissions and continured
    detailed study.

Badger, I too am a specialized MO collector and really enjoy the posts.