Third Party Press
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Remove K98K Rear Sight

Default Remove K98K Rear Sight

Can anyone help me with removing my rear sight? I wish to mount a scout scope using an S & K. The rear flat head screw came out easily enough. I've done some searching and haven't found anything definitive.

Thanks

Philip

BTW, I don't see any sort of retaining pin holding the ladder. I should have entitled the post "sight ladder" removal.

Philip

Hi Panelectronica.

I haven't accomplished this yet, but am getting ready to do so.
    I ordered a replacement sight mount from AIM Sports that came today, and will mount it over the weekend.
    Instructions for this sight say to press out the pivot pin at the front of the existing leaf sight using a drift pin or good center punch, while keeping the spring in place.
    Then the new sight goes in place of it, with the provided new screw and thumbwheel.
    I'm anxious to try this out, but have not found a good scope yet, that has long eye relief.

Anyone have any scope choice advice?
    Is a Red Dot a good option here? They seem to have unlimited eye relief.
    Not sure the best choice for hunting deer in the 100 yd range.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have an S and K Scout Mount. I don't want to attempt this without knowing what I am doing.

P

Default Removal of rear sight

Just tried the same task on my CE 43 at home today, and also having trouble with removing the hinge pin on the rear leaf site.
    I was able to tap in the pin on both sides, but this didn't result in the pin protruding from the other side, only to have both sides compressed about 1/8". (see photos).
    I'm hesitant to go any further without knowing the mechanism behind this hinge.
    One How-To site says to punch out halfway with a brass drift pin, and pull the protruding end out the other side.
    Another describes some kind of spring deal, like a watch band pin - which this appears to be more like.

Any tips?

Easy, guys. Take a look at this K98 disassembly manual (Figures 31-34).

http://www.sportsmanmaps.com/surplus...sembly2006.pdf

See how tiny the pin is (Figure 32)? It's much smaller than the holes in the "ears" of the rear sight mount. Use a very small punch to drive the pin out.

NOTE: Whenever you try to drive out a pin and its head starts to mushroom, STOP! You can already tell by looking at it that you did something wrong. From there on it will only get worse and you are at danger of significantly decreasing your rifle's value. From what I can tell by looking at the second picture (showing the rifle upside down), it may have gone deeper into the hole of the rear sight leaf. You should try pushing it all way through. One thing you need is solid support of the opposite side. Put a wood block underneath to support the opposite rear sight ear when you tap with the punch. The pin may end up disappearing in the wood block but the way its butchered up already you won't reuse it anyways.

Well, I managed to get the sight off its pivot.
    But I also managed to mess up the pivot pin itself.
    The tiny pin came out (at least a piece of it about 3/8" long).
    But the outer pin/sleeve is pretty squashed at both ends, and its lodged in the hole of the leaf sight.
    So, I've got a double challenge on my hands:
    1) How to get the squashed remains of the sleeve out of the pivot hole of the sight, and
    2) What to use for a replacement pivot pin/sleeve whenever I decide to replace the original sight.

Wish I would have had better instructions prior to attempting this.
    The new sight mount instructions and all the sites I accessed said the same thing - Drive the pivot pin out with a drift punch.

Help!

What you are calling a "sleeve" is actually part of the rear sight leaf, they do not come off.

The instructions that tell you to take "the pivot pin" out are wrong, the K98k rear sight leaf actually pivots on two trunnions (the thing you called a sleeve).

The small pin you did take out is probably what they were referring to, but that pin is actually called a "safety" pin.

Looks like you will be shopping for a new rear sight leaf, from looking at picture two I think it is too badly damaged to use again.

Rb.
    Last edited by Rustybore; 03-04-2012 at 12:50 AM.

Thanks RB,

I'm afraid you're right about that damaged trunion.
    Wish I would have known better what the system entailed before using a little too much force to remove it.
    Anyone got any ideas on repairing the trunion surface so that it pivots smoothly?
    I'm not too anxious to replace the entire leaf sight, since its matching to the rifle.