Third Party Press

bnz44 n block

RyanE

Baby Face
Staff member
I finally cataloged my bnz44 n block from the SOS. Matching and correct except for the handguard. Steyr stopped numbering the wood, so I only need an unnumbered one to replace it. I can find no Radom (WaA77) parts on the rifle with the possible exception of the bayonet lug which has some Radom-esque glyphs. Bolt is proofed WaA623 as is the stock and all rear sight components, and the triggerguard compoents and follower are all Mauser. The rest appear to be unmarked. This is very late '44 production so I guess they were packing up Radom at the time.

Barrel code is 'EC (bnz/1) WaA623'

Kudos to mrfarb for pointing out to me that this was indeed correct (minus the handguard).

Attachments

• tn_Rifle Right.JPG
    tn_Rifle Right.JPG
    237.4 KB · Views: 309
  • tn_Rifle Left.JPG
    tn_Rifle Left.JPG
    276.5 KB · Views: 242
  • tn_Receiver Top.jpg
    tn_Receiver Top.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 404
  • tn_Receiver Left.jpg
    tn_Receiver Left.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 1,076
  • tn_Receiver Right.jpg
    tn_Receiver Right.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 278
  • tn_Bolt Top (2).jpg
    tn_Bolt Top (2).jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 305
  • tn_Bolt Cocking Piece.jpg
    tn_Bolt Cocking Piece.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 1,010
  • tn_Bolt Cutout.jpg
    tn_Bolt Cutout.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 304
  • tn_Stock Right.jpg
    tn_Stock Right.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 255
  • tn_Stock Left.jpg
    tn_Stock Left.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 208
  • tn_Stock Cartouche.jpg
    tn_Stock Cartouche.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 267
  • tn_Stock Channel.jpg
    tn_Stock Channel.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 208
  • tn_Bands Left.jpg
    tn_Bands Left.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 254
  • tn_Bands Right.jpg
    tn_Bands Right.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 227
  • tn_Bayonet Lug.jpg
    tn_Bayonet Lug.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 225
Look at that gap under the ejector box. :facepalm:

Attachments

• tn_Follower.jpg
    tn_Follower.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 118
  • tn_Ejector.jpg
    tn_Ejector.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 190
  • tn_Rear Sight.jpg
    tn_Rear Sight.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 133
  • tn_Rear Sight Base.jpg
    tn_Rear Sight Base.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 161
  • tn_Rear Sight Ladder (2).jpg
    tn_Rear Sight Ladder (2).jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 143
  • tn_Triggerguard (2).jpg
    tn_Triggerguard (2).jpg
    91 KB · Views: 237
  • tn_Triggerguard Rear.jpg
    tn_Triggerguard Rear.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 123
  • tn_Stock Cutout RIght.jpg
    tn_Stock Cutout RIght.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 128
  • tn_Sling Cutout Left.jpg
    tn_Sling Cutout Left.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 106
nice...

So you did grab it.. I looked at it a few times..I hope "youall" gave him a good beat down on the price!

Nice one!!
Also, interesting speed milled band..

It has no cock relief what so ever!!! :laugh:

attachment.php

I personally think this is one of the harder bnz letter blocks to find. It's the first letter block that introduced the abbreviated serial numbering style. Most would probably pass it up thinking it's restored with unnumbered parts, but it's not- it's equivalent to the late byf44 k/L block rifles. I've only had the chance to buy 1 matching n block bnz rifle in all the time I've been looking. Nice rifle, and he did whip the guy down on the price substantially. I'm going to pic sticky this one. :)

im sure

I know you two wouldnt have done it any other way !!! All his items were a little overpriced..But, he at least had some stuff..

Steyr

They were quite thrifty...I think the workers forced to use those stamps till there was no image left ! This is another lacking the WAa623 on top of the receiver.. It took a while for those to get replaced as well..

Wow that's nice and a real find. Like mike said it's just prior to the KM transition and with the abbreviated markings. If u collect KM's and study/illustrate the transition this is one u want just like the early/mid L MO, or the undrilled Czech guns. But soo much harder to find! I've only seen one "n" and one "o" in many years of looking. Would settle for either. The upper band is really cool! And I love the late steyr discs too - really unique.

Another 'bnz44' 'n' block Mauser

This is an earlier 'n' block bnz44 that looks exactly like the Serial #3472n. Serial #458n has the same mushy firing proof on the left of the barrel, it also has a single 'rune' on the underside of the barrel. I don't know if the rune has any meaning. Barrel is a bnz1 in the shield. The laminated wood looks identical to #3472n. Both rifles could be brothers....

DSC02143.jpgDSC02145.jpgDSC02142.jpgDSC02137.jpgDSC02148.jpgDSC02152.jpgDSC02159.jpgDSC02165.jpg

Last edited:
another yet bnz44 n block

here are some quick shots of yet another 'n' block bnz44. This one has a hi-polish look to it.. It doesnt look redone. Some bnz receivers have a plumb shinny look to them.. 8928n so its a lot higher than the other two..

Attachments

• 096.jpg
    096.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 104
  • 097.jpg
    097.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 100
  • 098.jpg
    098.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 84
  • 099.jpg
    099.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 90
No. A good general rule of thumb is unnumbered safety, unnumbered floorplate, unnumbered bands, unnumbered stock/handguard. That rule is not 100% right, but close (I think some of the K block byf 44's violate it).

Military Rifle Journal
Back