Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dot 1943 with welded E/135 H band

Default dot 1943 with welded E/135 H band

Here are pics of my dot43 with welded H band for the pic sticky.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

Pic stickied.
    Last edited by Hambone; 03-01-2014 at 05:58 PM.

Q block??

How many of these things are there??

**--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    **Wanted - Original un-dicked with late Steyr (bnz45) stock... Long shot but......
    ** --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the original assumption was that there was a small range- if you note, mine is a pretty high Q block, which comes right before the early r block guns you guys have.

I think I've seen pics of the other one reported in the sticky (V block I think?) and it's right as rain, so it would seem there are more than we think.

I wanted to add something- notice the pink looking putty at the stock disc? I've had quite a few original dot44 rifles with this putty on them, including some really crispy out of the closet guns. It always looks exactly the same color, and is only at the disc area, and only on the right side where the wood split out from drilling the disc hole. I'm convinced it's period done.....I have at least 1 other in my collection just like it. Keep an eye out and you will see it too.

Very nice looking rifle. I saw a dot 43 at the last gun show I was at , but it had numbered bands and the stock was numbered at the wrist. It looked humped , nothing like yours and they wanted 1195!

Quote Originally Posted by mrfarb View Post
    I think the original assumption was that there was a small range- if you note, mine is a pretty high Q block, which comes right before the early r block guns you guys have.

I think I've seen pics of the other one reported in the sticky (V block I think?) and it's right as rain, so it would seem there are more than we think.

mrfarb,

Thanks for posting your pics. That dark bluing matches the one I acquired. Was wondering if it was too dark and your display put my mind at ease. I remember seeing pictures of a dot with a duffel cut below rear sight on gunboards awhile back. However, that search engine over there will not allow 3 character searches. So no luck finding it to verify if it is the same rifle.

I acquired the dot 1943 5644v at the Timonium, Maryland antique gun show in March. Needs some TLC, but it is basically complete. I will post some pics next week. The miss-matched bolt does not match the rifle but the two serials on it (bolt stem and safety) do match each other. The other parts are completely devoid of markings and serials. I think it is one of those armorer kit bolts. I will post pictures of both.

It seems the v-block serial probably came from the December '43 time frame.

If anyone can find that link to this k98's previous posting(s) anywhere, I sure would appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by mrfarb View Post
    I wanted to add something- notice the pink looking putty at the stock disc? I've had quite a few original dot44 rifles with this putty on them, including some really crispy out of the closet guns. It always looks exactly the same color, and is only at the disc area, and only on the right side where the wood split out from drilling the disc hole. I'm convinced it's period done.....I have at least 1 other in my collection just like it. Keep an eye out and you will see it too.
    Mike:

Unless I am way wrong, that large diameter hole in the left side of the stock doesn't go all the way through, does it? I think it's a large counterbore to accept the disc. The hole that goes all the way through is smaller, to accommodate the tube in the center of the disc. The disc hole in the other side is the same - a counterbore for the disc only. Still, the tool could pull out chips. You'd think the Germans would have used a Forstner bit to avoid things like that.

Quote Originally Posted by whcoyote View Post
    Mike:

Unless I am way wrong, that large diameter hole in the left side of the stock doesn't go all the way through, does it? I think it's a large counterbore to accept the disc. The hole that goes all the way through is smaller, to accommodate the tube in the center of the disc. The disc hole in the other side is the same - a counterbore for the disc only. Still, the tool could pull out chips. You'd think the Germans would have used a Forstner bit to avoid things like that.
    Yes, you are right- the larger hole is only deep enough for the disc. Good point- wonder why I only see this on the right side? I'm not familiar with all of the types of bits used in wood working.

Default Nice rifle...........

i got an nice dot 43 r block comming i
    Do you think its an early 44 rifle?

regards
    Last edited by bjarne; 03-01-2014 at 05:06 PM.
    98K Collector