Third Party Press

M.40 KIA helmet, bloodstain testing

Hambone

Community Organizer
Staff member
I picked this helmet up on a trade. It came from a fellow who is a teacher and was given it by the family of one of his students. The helmet was found among the possessions of the student's uncle, who passed away, and who was the WW2 vet who brought it back. The fellow I got it from eventually got the deceased uncle's name from the family and I ran the name in the archives. I found that he was indeed an NCO and WW2 ETO combat veteran. I'm trying now, without luck, to identify his unit.

The stains on the inside of the liner match with areas where it looks like a bullet (not shrapnel) penetrated the leather at Behrens forehead. I was the first to untie the liner. Looks like a .30 cal bullet came in at the trajectory shown. I think Behrens had his head down and to the left, as is a typical reaction of soldiers under fire or advancing into it. Thus, the bullet could have caused some facial damage and gone into the upper left shoulder or chest. He likely went down as you can see where blood pooled in the front of the helmet, and a matching stain on the outside where blood could have leaked out the hole and pooled up on the outside of the helmet, but in the same spot. I performed blood test analysis with a crime labe kit on the stains and they came back positive. I'll provide the results later.

I also asked for a medical opinion from a buddy of mine, a doctor and militaria collector who is familiar with the diagnosis and treatment of traumatic head wounds as well as having a great knowledge of military history and medical treatment of that time. My question was whether or not this would have been fatal to Behrens. His response:

"I don't think it's a survivable wound. That bullet plus whatever else peeled off that helmet would have fragmented (unless an AP round was used, which was commonly used by GIs in rifles but not generally in machine guns supporting infantry) into a high velocity load of buckshot and exposed enough brain that if he didn't die right then, he wouldn't have had long. Medics on all sides usually didn't consider open skulls with brains missing worth wasting time and supplies on. And, since you have evidence the blood pooled, then it means he likely laid there long enough in the original position he hit the ground in after being hit until he bled out or his heart quit beating before he bled out.

He could have received other fatal wounds as well, maybe the head shot was one of a string of machine gun bullets that tore into him. If he was consious after being hit, or if someone who cared about him was nearby they/or he would have taken the helmet off first to assess damage and wouldn't have seen the pooling evidence. The trajectory could have changed after tearing through that helmet to, might have come out the back of his neck below the rear helmet rim for all you know. But, the fact that blood pooled is a pretty good sign he hit the ground with his helmet on and didn't move for a while. Knowing that the blood would have followed gravity you could probably lay the helmet on the ground with the area that the blood pooled being lowest point and get an idea of his head position on the ground. Looks like face down from the rust on the outside of the hole. And again, since the blood pooled, the helmet staying on his head after impact."

Attachments

• post-754-1182131217.jpg
    post-754-1182131217.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 521
  • post-754-1182131457.jpg
    post-754-1182131457.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 525
  • post-754-1182131549.jpg
    post-754-1182131549.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 495
  • post-754-1182131622.jpg
    post-754-1182131622.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 520
More pics showing interior damage, blood staining, pooling. Note that there is a stain on the exterior of the helmet showing the exact pooling on the outside matching that inside. Poor Behrens went face down and stayed that way for awhile. The chinstrap is black, stiff, and I believe blood soaked. The inside of the liner shows a large stain at the point where fragments tore through the liner band and the liner and would have wounded the wearer in the forehead.

Attachments

• post-754-1182131868.jpg
    post-754-1182131868.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 512
  • post-754-1182132027.jpg
    post-754-1182132027.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 466
  • post-754-1182132147.jpg
    post-754-1182132147.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 470
  • post-754-1182210867.jpg
    post-754-1182210867.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 535
Since most of the "blood stained" descriptions one sees connected with German militaria is simply carnival barking for the waftarded, I decided to test the stains in this helmet objectively, i.e., scientifically (not to be confused with the "science" of the recent XRF ray gun dog and pony show).

I used a Bluestar Forensic Hexagon OBTI test on the stains on the liner on the above helmet. This test is sensitive to human blood traces and will not cross-react with animal blood types (except for primate, ferret, and skunk; who'da thought). I wanted to confirm via OBJECTIVE test what 60 year old blood on a helmet liner looks like. Here is the information on this test:
http://www.bluestar-forensic.com/gb/hexagon.php
Note that perspiration will not yield a positive result on this test. Now for the test and results....................

Last edited:
Below is the area of the liner tested. You can see the minute size of the sample I used in the pic of the collection bottle and tweezers. The test flake was removed from the inside edge of the liner. Depicted is the scraping I used, along with the sample bottle and testing device. The scraping is dropped into the test media bottle and gently shaken up. The tip is broken off the media bottle and two drops from bottle with the media and chip are placed on the far end of the test strip, where the "S" is located. The chip is to the far right.

Attachments

• Behrens test_liner sample location.JPG
    Behrens test_liner sample location.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 210
  • Behrens test_bottle  strip sample.JPG
    Behrens test_bottle strip sample.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 198
  • Behrens test_20070704_0020.JPG
    Behrens test_20070704_0020.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 205
Hello Hambone,

A super helmet and a textbook KIA helmet.

Cheers,
Peter

Btw it would look much better on display in the cabinet of the "Peter U" KIA helmet collection :biggrin:

If the test is working, one blue line will appear at the "C" mark on the test strip. Negative for human blood is NO line at the "T" mark. A positive test for human blood is either a very visible line, or a weak line at the "T". The instructions state that "even a weak test line indicates a positive result. Different intensities between Test (T) and Control lines may occur but do not affect the interpretation of the results."

Below is the test, which produced a positive result for human blood, albeit with a weak Test line. The strip marked with the "1" was a NON blood stain for control. The strip marked "2" shows the weak line indicating positive for human blood.

Attachments

• Behrens test_results all.JPG
    Behrens test_results all.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 162
  • Behrens test_positive.JPG
    Behrens test_positive.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 163
The gentleman from whom I got the helmet eventually found out the name of the man who brought the helmet back, one "Ed Troescher". The helmet came out of Idaho. I did a search for that name and this is what I got:

ARMY SERIAL NUMBER 20927310 20927310
NAME TROESCHER#EDWARD#C###### TROESCHER#EDWARD#C######
RESIDENCE: STATE 92 IDAHO
RESIDENCE: COUNTY 005 BANNOCK
PLACE OF ENLISTMENT 9276 POCATELLO IDAHO
DATE OF ENLISTMENT DAY 01 01
DATE OF ENLISTMENT MONTH 04 04
DATE OF ENLISTMENT YEAR 41 41
GRADE: ALPHA DESIGNATION 1#SG First Sergeant
GRADE: CODE 2 First Sergeant
BRANCH: ALPHA DESIGNATION FA# Field Artillery
BRANCH: CODE 30 Field Artillery
FIELD USE AS DESIRED # #
TERM OF ENLISTMENT 0 Undefined Code
LONGEVITY ### ###
SOURCE OF ARMY PERSONNEL 7 National Guard
NATIVITY 92 IDAHO
YEAR OF BIRTH 16 16
RACE AND CITIZENSHIP 1 White, citizen
EDUCATION 5 1 year of college
CIVILIAN OCCUPATION 105 Clerks, general office
MARITAL STATUS 2 Married
COMPONENT OF THE ARMY 4 National Guard (Officers, Warrant Officers, and Enlisted Men)
CARD NUMBER # #
BOX NUMBER 0368 0368
FILM REEL NUMBER 3.89# 3.89#

Hello Hambone,

A super helmet and a textbook KIA helmet.

Cheers,
Peter

Btw it would look much better on display in the cabinet of the "Peter U" KIA helmet collection :biggrin:

Thanks Peter. As you know, if it goes anywhere it will be travelling to Belgium ;)

With your permission, I've posted one of your outstanding pieces below, also a bullet struck helmet, though a rare M.38, to show the similarity in impacts. Note the "skid" mark along the steel from the bullet base; you can lay a bullet right in it.

Peter's helmet first, the Behrens helmet second:

Attachments

• post-10647-1182187627.jpg
    post-10647-1182187627.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 236
  • post-754-1182212072.jpg
    post-754-1182212072.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
Great post Ham... thank you ... ;)

Very educational and I learned a lot from it .....

Regards,
Doug

Tks Doug. Peter U is THE battle damage goto guy. We've had a good many discussions on what real blood stains look like, shrapnel vs. bullet damage, etc.

Update. On the trail of the records on the fellow who brought it back, Sgt. Edward Troescher. He had a long military career and was a 1st Lt. at the end of WW2. I sent off for his records. There are a couple hundred "Behrens" listed by the German War Graves Commission. However, my hope is that by finding where Troescher was I can narrow to the right Behrens if he was KIA (almost a certainty) and is listed. It would be quite profound and sad if I could complete this post with a picture of Behren's grave marker as well.

Attachments

• 43135860_126672896624.jpg
    43135860_126672896624.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 127
:happy0180: I've narrowed "Obgef. Behrens" down to about six KIA in the west and their war graves. One was at Cassino. I may be able to ID the correct Behrens with some degree of certainty.

OK, I got MSgt. Troescher's records which show he was promoted and served as Exec. Off. of Company C, 936th FA Bn. from 7 Mar 43 to 16 Jun 45. This is the 936th:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/142nd_Field_Artillery_Regiment_(United_States)

The 936th Field Artillery Battalion left Camp Bowie August 9, 1943, arrived in Algiers September 2, 1943 and landed in Naples, Italy November 11, 1943. It participated in the drive across the Rapido River, the liberation of Rome and the assault on Mount Cassino. When the war ended the 936th was across the Po River, about 45 miles from Venice. It had fired 139,364 rounds in combat and was awarded battle streamers for the following campaigns:
So, I need to find a KIA Obgef. Behrens in Italy.

Last edited:
This may be him:

Zum Gedenken an Franz Behrens
Franz Behrens ruht auf der Kriegsgräberstätte in Cassino.
Endgrablage: Block 16 Grab 606
Nähere Informationen zu diesem Friedhof erhalten Sie hier.
Nachname:Behrens
Vorname:Franz
Dienstgrad:Obergefreiter
Geburtsdatum:1920
Todes-/Vermisstendatum:03.03.1943

Translation:

In Memory of Frank Behrens
Franz Behrens rests on the military cemetery at Cassino.
Endgrablage: block 16, grave 606
Further information on this cemetery, click here.
Name: Behrens
first name: Franz
French Rank: Corporal
Date of birth: 1920
Death/Missing: 03/03/1943

Attachments

• Behrens Franz War Grave Cassino.jpg
    Behrens Franz War Grave Cassino.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 87
  • Behrens Cassino Cemetary.jpg
    Behrens Cassino Cemetary.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 78
The German cemetary at Cassino (Translation):

About 3 miles north of the town of Cassino is the German cemetery Cassino. He holds all the German soldiers who fell in the southern part of the Italian mainland, roughly south of the line-Pescara Terracina. There are thus largely the dead from the fighting around the beachhead in the Gulf of Salerno, the withdrawal of fighting on the Adriatic coast (particularly in the area of ​​Ortona), ahead of Cassino, and from the hard struggle in the battle space around Cassino itself.

German war graves in the Italian agreement was concluded in December 1955 between the Federal Government and the Italian government, was agreed to in the near Cassino to create a final German war cemetery, which should include all the space süditalienischem fallen German soldiers. (With the exception of Sicily, which has received a special honor at Catani place for the dead on the island). Here, the German war dead eternal rest law. Their number beläut to 20 027. They were recovered in 1959 and 1960 by The reburial of the national union of innumerable smaller cemeteries and graves of scattered field. Here, the patient transfer sammmelten often laboriously everything that could contribute to the identification of unknown dead.

http://www.volksbund.de/kriegsgraeberstaetten.html?fhnr=033b151e8d017a2129ec401f7eb078b3

Attachments

• thumb_f345eb1ac6.jpg
    thumb_f345eb1ac6.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 104
  • thumb_8247709dd0.jpg
    thumb_8247709dd0.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 88
  • thumb_326d02696c.jpg
    thumb_326d02696c.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 119
  • thumb_4ad1d2e1b1.jpg
    thumb_4ad1d2e1b1.jpg