Third Party Press

M.40 KIA helmet, bloodstain testing

Peter, they either have the date wrong that Franz Behrens was killed around Cassino, he was killed by air attack, or he died of sickness because it shows he died/went missing on 03-03-1943 and the Allies did not invade Italy until July 9, 1943 in Sicily.

http://www.custermen.com/ItalyWW2/History.htm

The Volksbund sometimes has the date wrong but then we are usually talking about a day not months; I think we can presume that this Franz Beherens died from an accident or so and after the war also ended up being buried at the German wargraves cemetery in Cassino.

P

I have to agree...this is a sobering real story and a fact of war. Wow...I have been watching this post and signed up because of this story.
My own Grandfather was killed in the Battle of the Buldge and I did the research to find out what happened to him.

It would really be something if you were able to find his family.....That would be unreal.

Thanks guys. There are a couple other Behrens killed in Italy around the same AO as Troescher. I'll post them.

M40 helmet, battle damage

Outstanding detective work Hambone, keep on this and I hope that eventually you can
find the correct Behrens.
Tks,
Bob32268

Tks Bob. I think I've narrowed it as far as it will go. The Behrens who wore that helmet was clearly DRT, so he would have a field grave.

Military Rifle Journal
Back