Third Party Press

Need help replacing K98 ejector spring

Passgas

Hello gentlemen.

One of my matching, original K98s has a broken ejector spring which I would like to replace. I don't shoot this rifle, but would still like to maintain this retired veteran in fully operational condition.

I removed the bolt stop assembly and found the broken leaf spring, but I am unsure how to remove the broken part or where to get an original German mfg replacement spring.

Any help describing the replacement process and ideas where to find the replacement ejector spring would be much appreciated.

The ejector box actually houses two springs. One is the ejector spring, meant to push the ejector lever into the groove at the front end of the bolt so it hits the bottom of the cartridge for ejection. This spring is usually not visible from the outside unless you peek through the slot at the backside of the ejector box (facing the receiver). The second spring is the main spring used for the bolt stop mechanism. That is the spring that forces the ejector box back against the receiver after you removed or re-inserted the bolt.

On most K98 rifles I have seen, main spring and ejector spring were one single unit. They are available online and go anywhere between $5 and $20. On some older K98, the main spring and ejector spring were separate. There was one of those spring for sale on feeBay a while ago. Here's a link to a spring that combines main spring and ejector spring as a single unit:

http://www.hoosiergunworks.com/images/mauser_98_ejectorspring.jpg

In any case, the main spring needs to be removed. It's held in place by a tongue and groove arrangement and needs to be tapped out of the ejector box toward the muzzle end. DON'T do this with the ejector box still installed on the rifle, remove it first. NEVER let any metal part of the rifle touch metal harder than brass or you will gouge the metal and significantly reduce collector value. You can only destroy original parts once, from there on there's no turning back and the damage is done. Rifles don't have UNDO buttons!

Some friendly advice: If you don't have brass punches, hardwood pieces or aluminum soft jaws for your vise, don't even think about doing anything to your rifle or you will regret it faster than you can say "crap".

Thank you! I did not realize that the ejector spring and bolt stop spring are one piece. I will try to find a replacement.

Military Rifle Journal
Back