Third Party Press
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bcd4 / bnz44 cleaned up

Default bcd4 / bnz44 cleaned up

I picked this one up from Gunbroker recently. Mauser99 posted pics of it from the auction, but I had a chance to strip the black paint from it and cleaned the stock up a little. Stock is sanded, Eagle H is gone from the stock sanding (some are struck weakly so I suspect it didn't take much for them to take it off), but the gun is 100% matching. I'll be the first to admit sanded stock guns that have been spray painted are NOT my cup of tea. Rarely would I even buy one, but this gun is sufficiently rare to warrant having it as a restored example. It looks a lot better now, I stripped the paint and oiled the metal- it does appear the top of receiver and front band were cleaned of rust, but no cold blue under all the paint. Actually, it's not a bad looking rifle considering where it started. I'm posting these pics as they are difficult to find, and I know a lot of people collect data on them- here's some data.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

that is a cool rifle. 99 percent of use never saw what it was while it was on GB but it is obvious now.
    You really went after it in the last minutes.
    Last edited by mto7464; 04-14-2012 at 09:27 AM.

Collector /Militaria Dealer Gerard's Avatar

Wow, that is a really interesting rifle, I never knew Steyr used Gustloff receivers. Great find and clean up! Are they particular to the "L" block?
    WTB: K98 rifles that are matching and untouched. See my want list:http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread....ched-condition

There is a range in bnz production where odd receviers show up, usually this receiver would be hand stamped with "bnz". This time frame corresponds with the loss of receiver production at Radom (the factory was evacuated in front of the Russian advance). From my experience these non-bnz receivers show up in the L-N blocks mostly, but not exclusively. I have about 4-5 of these odd receiver bnz rifles, a few are single rune guns (one is an RC, one is a resto). Hand stamp bnz rifles are not easy to get as most have the "bnz" stamped on them and are obvious. This one got by because it wasn't clear what it was. mauser99 picked up on it after the auction closed, kudo's to him and I was glad nobody noticed it.

I only went high enough on the auction to meet his reserve, I was bidding against myself. At $825.00 for a sanded stock, spray painted, shortened stock (according to the seller, which the stock is not shortened) rifle I probably looked crazy.

Gerard, here is a similar rifle: http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread....ght=bnz+s%2F42

I think the buttplate over hang turns people off on the later rifles making them think its been messed with.

Default Good catch

Quote Originally Posted by mrfarb View Post
    There is a range in bnz production where odd receviers show up, usually this receiver would be hand stamped with "bnz". This time frame corresponds with the loss of receiver production at Radom (the factory was evacuated in front of the Russian advance). From my experience these non-bnz receivers show up in the L-N blocks mostly, but not exclusively. I have about 4-5 of these odd receiver bnz rifles, a few are single rune guns (one is an RC, one is a resto). Hand stamp bnz rifles are not easy to get as most have the "bnz" stamped on them and are obvious. This one got by because it wasn't clear what it was. mauser99 picked up on it after the auction closed, kudo's to him and I was glad nobody noticed it.

I only went high enough on the auction to meet his reserve, I was bidding against myself. At $825.00 for a sanded stock, spray painted, shortened stock (according to the seller, which the stock is not shortened) rifle I probably looked crazy.

Gerard, here is a similar rifle: http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread....ght=bnz+s%2F42
    Love these "hidden dual codes". Saw this one but did not bid...glad you got it.. really quite scarce. Those astrawerke receivers are like FN frames to P-38's. Cleaned up nice. Finding these separates the men from the boys.
    Last edited by jack944; 04-14-2012 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mto7464 View Post
    I think the buttplate over hang turns people off on the later rifles making them think its been messed with.
    I agree. Once you've had a few late bnz rifles you learn to appreciate that overhang and how it turns people off. It didn't help much that the auction description said the stock was shortened. I often wonder if these stocks are rejects that were oversanded but not thrown out. It's such an ugly rifle...only a mother could love it.

Default Sanding

I agree. Once you've had a few late bnz rifles you learn to appreciate that overhang and how it turns people off. It didn't help much that the auction description said the stock was shortened. I often wonder if these stocks are rejects that were oversanded but not thrown out. It's such an ugly rifle...only a mother could love it.
    When you look at any production item there are going to be things out of spec. I am sure while training, not paying attention, etc. there were many stocks that were over-sanded. The big belt sanders they used were not precision instruments. I can tell you I would love that baby.....

here's a BNZ 44
    Attached Images Attached Images

Collector /Militaria Dealer Gerard's Avatar

This one not being marked bnz is incredible, but the other one with the s/42g receiver, is even more so. Beautiful and wow.
    WTB: K98 rifles that are matching and untouched. See my want list:http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread....ched-condition