Third Party Press

Any Update on Simpson's Book re: trainers

All I can offer you is a wild ballpark guess. With its format and size at more than 650 pages, it will almost certainly land at a cost of near $100 US. At the SOS, Bob seemed to think it might be handed to the printer in April.
Steve

Thanks Steve. I already have a jar with pocket change going in.

RE book

I was at Simpsons May 5th, Bob is currently at the printers overseas. He is scheduled to be back in a couple weeks.

Was there any consideration in making it a digital book? Would going digital make the book easier to publish? I would rather have a "hard copy" but if that is not working out just having the information would be great. A benefit of a digital copy is that you can always have it with you, so it can be referenced at a show. For that matter, I wouldn't mind having a digital copy of the K98k Books as well.

Happy to hear that Bob's writing a book on these and he certainly is familiar with the topic. I've sold him some of my best and he's always been an excellent gentleman to deal with.

This begins to remind me of the "Are we there yet?" of traveling with kids.
As of three days ago, the last edit is pretty much wrapped, and a final check of the charts is in progress. A special paper for printing this had to be ordered, and will be in place at the printers by August. Absolutely no plans for a "digital edition" have been made.
Steve

This begins to remind me of the "Are we there yet?" of traveling with kids.

I feel you, I get the same but I bet like me you enjoy it too. I'm happy people are interested enough to make all of the effort worthwhile.

About all I can add is that the printers have received partial payment with the order of the special paper, and August is a committed date IF NOTHING BLOWS UP OR FALLS APART between now and then. Just as soon as I know anything further that I can tell you, I promise I will post it here. Think good thoughts! :thumbsup:
Steve

Small scrap of info to add. Page total now exceeds 700. August printing is currently still a "go" and final price may be less than was anticipated earlier.
Steve

The most obvious certainty to me is that DSM and KKW prices are going to climb once the book is released. A buddy who is a retired naval aviator is having a book published and it's been a long, frustrating process. He has gone through endless revisions of miscaptioned pix, inaccurate statements and plain old grammatical errors and this has all been with a US publisher. I'm sure that Bob is quite frustrated by now.

I agree that there could be a bump in prices after the book is published but I have found that the prices of these rifles has been climbing since I have started collecting them. My goal is to get as many variations of each maker as possible.:happy0180:

Robert said he was leaving the just the other day to get the print rolling, can't wait it's a very cool book for sure.

This is great news steve ! There have been many waiting for a long time for this.. Your brother especially. Hope he is well.

Bob is insisting on yet one more editing of it. Some short pieces in the back had been retained pretty much as penned by Richard Carey, years ago. My preference had been not to edit the words of the deceased, but those brief text pieces will be edited. The MS transfers to the printer via cloud storage, but the printed books will return via sea cargo due to weight. I imagine he told you springtime because he is getting really tired of being asked "When?" by now.
Steve

@ Steve, the sooner the better, but doubt it, as I was dropping a trainer off for him too sale, he said I should wait for the book to come out as it will raise prices, so I will.

It will shine when it shines.

Or as Norman Schwartskopf said to the reporter who asked why it took so long to clear the mine fields,

"Have you ever been in a mine field?"

Military Rifle Journal
Back