Third Party Press

1951 FN Belgian Mauser

davetexas

Sorry if this in't the right section/forum....

Just got this 1951 FN Belgian Mauser, factory chambered in 30-06 Springfield. King Leopold marked.

I'm told that FN produced k98's during the war and then produced these after the war as a stop-gap until they produced the FN-FAL. I'm a rookie so feel free to correct me!

IMAG1572.jpg

IMAG0905.jpg

IMAG0907.jpg

Fn 1951

This is probably not the correct forum to post this rifle :) I could be wrong.
This is an army issued rifle because it used to have black finish.
They were made only for 2 years, 1951 and 1952 and the crests changed from 51 to 52.
51 is more rare than 52 the navy is more rare than the army rifles.

I was told it was a Navy rifle because it doesn't have the black finish. Are you saying someone removed the black finish? Thanks!

fn 1951

I was told it was a Navy rifle because it doesn't have the black finish. Are you saying someone removed the black finish? Thanks!
I am pretty sure it was black. You can see the black finish in the crest. It was a paint like finish... the navy rifles were grey. If will send you a pm with a link to a navy rifle.

Steve

Sorry if this in't the right section/forum....

Just got this 1951 FN Belgian Mauser, factory chambered in 30-06 Springfield. King Leopold marked.

I'm told that FN produced k98's during the war and then produced these after the war as a stop-gap until they produced the FN-FAL. I'm a rookie so feel free to correct me!

Not really the correct forum but it is nice rifle so it can stay. Fn didn't make 98k's during the war. They made parts, particularly barrels and bolts for other makers. They also produced handguns (hi-powers and 1910/22's). After the war they shifted to FN49 production before the FAL.

Well I took it completely apart today and it does indeed have a black painted like finish on it under the stock. So I'm guessing that someone at sometime removed it. The finish that you can see is not bare metal though and I'm told is a form of parkerization.

The standard finish was a phosphate coating (parkerizing) then painted with a type of black paint. They did the same to the FN-49 and FAL.

The sling is original and in good condition but is dry and has some wear marks to it. I was thinking of cleaning it with some saddle soap. Is this a bad idea? Should I just leave it alone?

This is probably not the correct forum to post this rifle :) I could be wrong.
This is an army issued rifle because it used to have black finish.
They were made only for 2 years, 1951 and 1952 and the crests changed from 51 to 52.
51 is more rare than 52 the navy is more rare than the army rifles.

After WWII Belgium acquired a quantity of US machineguns for there occupation zone in Western Germany.
The SAFN mod.49 semi automatic rifle was the standard model,as substitute rifle is the commercial Mauser model 24/30/50 used,it has a slighter longer magazine than a k98k and the receiver got a cut to provide clearance for the pointed 30.06 catridges.Not many rifles have on the receiver the L from king Leopold III but got the B from king Boudewijn I,Belgium got a dispute after the war with the old king Leopold and he must resign by the governement in favor of his son Boudewijn.This Mauser rifle ,common called in the Belgian army the model 50 served in the Belgian army untill the 70's. it has been produced longer than two years because its a commercial rifle.ABL means Armee Belge,Belgisch leger referring to the French and the Flemisch(dutch)translation of the two languages spoken in Belgium.this rifle is sometimes encountered with "FP" on the receiver,this means "Force public" for colonial purpose of the Belgian army in Congo..

I have the 1952 version. I would like to see some pics of your sling. I don't have one for my ABL 30-06 0r my ABL trainer. Would like to see what they look like and any markings on them

IIRC, that rifle was actually called the Model 1950. It is one of the few Mausers that was made to take the U.S. Springfield clip because that is the way the Belgians received their ammunition from the U.S.

My 1951 date is gray Parkerized; it is not, and never was, painted black.

Jim

IIRC, that rifle was actually called the Model 1950. It is one of the few Mausers that was made to take the U.S. Springfield clip because that is the way the Belgians received their ammunition from the U.S.

My 1951 date is gray Parkerized; it is not, and never was, painted black.

Jim

sorry Jim,

There where rifles with black painted model 1950 receivers , this was done for the Belgian "Gendarmerie" ,a special police unit in Belgium who was trained like a military unit .Here every town got in those days his local police and there was also in every town a seperate unit headquarter of the "gendarmerie" who did mainly the same duty as the local civilian police ,but when there was an uprise or big trouble, it was them ,with there units who taking care of it and restore the order .In the 50's, 60's and 70's they got there own equipment ,some of there weapons where obsolete WII armes like the nr4 mkI enfield and those Mausers model 1950. this weapons where mainly used with a granate launcher for firing teargaz and smoke bombs .(later they got more modern equipment like the FAL rifle and those guns where just used for exercise and train cadets.)
This police unit is now disbanded in Belgium at the turn of this century. ( In France it still existing)

Also many captured German guns in Scandinavia where also made with modifications for the clips of the us 30.06 catridges for there homeguard after W II .The Swedisch Army got from Germany even in the war a quantity of Mauser k98k modified to use of the .30 catridge with there US machineguns .

thats my mod.50 Belgian Mauser,with the chrest of king Boudewijn I from 1952 .Sorry guy' s the picks are not that good but you see the receiver is totaly black and not grey or army green.

Attachments

• 111-1117_IMG.JPG
    111-1117_IMG.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 111-1120_IMG.JPG
    111-1120_IMG.JPG
    162.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 111-1123_IMG.JPG
    111-1123_IMG.JPG
    184.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 111-1124_IMG.JPG
    111-1124_IMG.JPG
    165.5 KB · Views: 16
you might find the machine gun caliber was 8x63 not 30-06

_______________________________________________________-

sorry Jim,

There .............. after W II .The Swedisch Army got from Germany even in the war a quantity of Mauser k98k modified to use of the .30 catridge with there US machineguns .

Military Rifle Journal
Back