Third Party Press

Ammo info

LUIS22

Hello Guys,

can anyone reccomend a site for cheap 8mm surplus ammo??? I checked in a lot of sites and they no longer have it...(sportmans guide, cabelas, cheaper than dirt) thanks,

Wideners

Try Wideners (wideners.com), they have the really nice Yugo late 1990's brass sniper M76 ammo available. Outstanding stuff, beats the heck out of the dirty 150gr Romanian stuff which seems to have disappeared. :thumbsup:

Romanian and Yugo 196 gr. 8mm ball ammunition have completely dried up. I can't find it anywhere. J&G sales still has the excellent Yugo 1950s and 1990s M75 "sniper" ammo (link below), but it's kind of pricy. They also have Persian (Iranian) 8mm ball ammo, but I have not seen any user comments on this stuff and so don't know whether it's any good or not. SAMCO has the same stuff, plus Persian .30-06 ball ammo.

http://www.jgsales.com/ammo-for-rifles-c-12_45.html

The rule for surplus ammo seems to buy all that you think you'll need while you can as it will disappear off of the market eventually. Right now, it's still easy to find Russian 5.45x39 ammo. Bulgarian 5.45 is all gone now.

If you want accuracy, M75 sniper ammo is near match quality and worth the extra money IMO. Some of the 50's Yugo is pretty good but some will have a pretty high failure to fire rate.

If you want accuracy, M75 sniper ammo is near match quality and worth the extra money IMO. Some of the 50's Yugo is pretty good but some will have a pretty high failure to fire rate.

I'll vouch for that...stuff chronos very close...some 5 shot groups had velocity differences as small as 13 fps.
If you're shootin @ refrigerators get anything,if you want paper accuracy try the M75....but all guns seem to be picky about what they like, so you might just buy a few boxes till you figure out if your gun loves it...or not.

SBC

Some of the 50's Yugo is pretty good but some will have a pretty high failure to fire rate.

I heard the same thing, unfortunately after I had laid in a good supply of this stuff. Rats. Guys were complaining of hard primers. Much of the failure rate may have been folks shooting the stuff in M48 rifles that still had lots of cosmoline in the bolts, greatly slowing down the strikers.

I throughly cleaned both of my M48s before firing, and have had no failures to fire in either, or the 98k that I tried this stuff in. Maybe I just got some ammo from lots that had been better stored than others. Don't know, but I've been happy with it.

The ammo that I've bought from J&G sales (they're out of it now) is clean and bright, and the boxes look new. Inspection of several cases after firing shows no tendancy to split, and no internal corrosion. Performance of this amo has been excellent. Of course, it's what the M48 was designed for, so the factory targeting of both rifles is spot on, shooting a few inches high at most ranges, as intended.

Everyone here has a good appreciation of the basic Mauser 98 design, so you might seriously consider acquiring a nice Yugo M48, if you haven't done so already. Al matching examples abound. These were dirt cheap a few years back, but the prices have begun to creep up. These are fine rifles. No junk has ever come out of Zestava.

Mitchell's Mausers (widely flogged on internet forums) imported lots of M48s. Fortunately, all Mitchell's did to most was to polish the bolts and butt plates, which came bright from the arsenal anyway. Little harm was done, and these can be really nice rifles.

I bought a couple hundred rounds of std Yugo not on strippers and from late 53. It had about one in 8 requiring a double strike to fire and about one in 20 that would not fire period. That is used in several different rifles. I would get an occasional split neck.

I bought a case of 53 about a month later in 53 and it has been much better. It was on strippers and apparently much better stored. It rarely does anything weird and is pretty accurate.

M75 just rocks in my experience. If it were US match it would be over $1 a round, and it is a least as accurate as m72 or 118 match.

Military Rifle Journal
Back