Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: K98 1940 660

Default K98 1940 660

Here comes a rifle with high polish original finish that even would impress Mitchell Mauser LOL

Parts that don't match: trigger, handguard and band spring.

There are no eagles on the side of the butt and no numbers on the bayonet lug.
    Inside the stock the number matches but there is also another number that made me think maybe this is a rework?
    I can't quite get the 2 numbers in detail but if anybody is interested in seeing them I can try to take few more pictures.

Your comments are very welcome.

Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

very nice and even better pictures!

Nice rifle. Thanks for sharing it. IMO I believe the metal has been reblued and polished. The picture of the back of the rear sight leaf reinforced my feelings.

The stock may very well be a period replacement...or it may not. The ink stamp looks to be 2.12.1940. Is the buttplate, takedown discs and recoil lug marked?

Go ahead and try to get those pictures, they'll definately help.

None the less 660 1940s that arent in RC trim are hard to come across.
    Last edited by THunter; 07-07-2012 at 08:31 PM.

Sorry guys I guess it is a bad joke. the metal is reblued

Quote Originally Posted by THunter View Post
    Nice rifle. Thanks for sharing it. IMO I believe the metal has been reblued and polished. The picture of the back of the rear sight leaf reinforced my feelings.

The stock may very well be a period replacement...or it may not. The ink stamp looks to be 2.12.1940. Is the buttplate, takedown discs and recoil lug marked?

Go ahead and try to get those pictures, they'll definately help.

None the less 660 1940s that arent in RC trim are hard to come across.
    Recoil lug and take down disks are not marked, the buttplate has the same serial number.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Is the siderail marked? Good pictures otherwise, but try and tighten up on the wrist marking. Probably HZa or HZNa markings.
    Hence, that which we have to express in a precise way, is the liberty of each limited only by the like liberties of all. This we do by saying: - Every man is free to do that which he wills, provided he infringes not the equal freedom of any other man. Herbert Spencer

I agree with the comments. It looks like a depot rework/repair that someone had reblued (postwar). That's a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by SimsonSuhl View Post
    Is the siderail marked? Good pictures otherwise, but try and tighten up on the wrist marking. Probably HZa or HZNa markings.
    There is no k98 on the rail just blank. I looked at some 1940 660 pictures at the picture reference section and the 2 guns that are there don't have any markings either. I will try to take a better picture of the wrist marking tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    I agree with the comments. It looks like a depot rework/repair that someone had reblued (postwar). That's a shame.
    That is ashame indeed. I only got it because I knew 660 code was somewhat rare. Now I am kind torn whether to sell it or keep it as a shooter. I have become too critical of k98s. I guess the curiosity got the best of me today when I bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by SimsonSuhl View Post
    I have looked at the wrist marking and I can't make out anything. I used natural light, I used 20x magnification and it is still not clear what it is.