Third Party Press
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kar.98a Erfurt 1918

Default Kar.98a Erfurt 1918

Not rare but in decent shape and matched to the screws, unmessed with, but dufflecut under the band. More pics this weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's nice! I really like those Kar 98a's!

WOW on the bolt and stock....

**--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    **Wanted - Original un-dicked with late Steyr (bnz45) stock... Long shot but......
    ** --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Default Sweet

Is that a Mitchell Mauser white bolt in that ? ..... Seriously that is one tough to get in that condition. I like them because of the white bolt and rust blued receiver...nice contrasts. Even nice blue condition guns usually have ratty stocks.. Great pics of proofs. I wonder if he made a tour of the second world war.

Now go get that MG sticky started.....

Nice rifle and a lot tougher than you would expect with such high production. This "gg" block is very near the end for Erfurt, surprised it survived in Imperial configuration... few have this late. Erfurt went to the mid "hh" block this year, just a huge number of rifles. (Craig, your MRJ went out today, Erfurt is in the Spring issue and it discusses the 98a in some detail)

Usually this late they are "Weimar'd" if they survived at all.. this one looks pretty damn original and rock hard. Some think that these Erfurt/1918 are common but while they made a lot of them few are really nice and "Imperial". I have owned a couple, one from PeterK, it had a sanded stock but nearly this nice otherwise.

A rifle much tough to find than you would think, especially this nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    Not rare but in decent shape and matched to the screws, unmessed with, but dufflecut under the band. More pics this weekend.

Thanks Paul. I always enjoy my MRJs! This one came out of a pawnshop in Brownsville Texas and is crispy untouched except for the scratches on the side, the dufflecut under the band, and a bit of buggering on the screw for the lower band. Everything else is straight up Imperial. I would guess the dufflecut indicates a WW2 bringback, not WW1. I'll take more pics this weekend and post them. I wiped the metal with ballistol, cleaned the bore (very nice, exc.) and knocked off a little air rust with bronze wool but just left everything else alone.

Paul, is there supposed to be a steel insert in the stock for the lower band screw to pass through? There is one there but the dufflecut went right through that hole.

The follower looks bright (not blued), the bolt is bright (not blued) and if the follower doesn't stop the bolt it is Imperial. I didn't notice any signs of interwar service (added serialing, interwar acceptance etc..) and best guess is it came back after WWI unless the follower is notched. I have never encountered a 98a that stayed in German hands that wasn't both blued and notched to stop the bolt when empty.
    Of course someone here could have done a notch job as it is a obvious upgrade, useful for sporting purposes also, but generally if the follower is bright and doesn't stop the bolt on empty, it is a good sign of being Imperial.

Many Imperial rifles were DC'd, owned quite a few.

Yes, I believe the screw goes through a metal tube, and screws into the hole in the otherside of the band. Sometimes this hole gets wallered out and won't screw in properly.

Simson, the follower is bright and has no bolt stop. When the sun comes up a bit more I'll take some pics. Thank you for the information. The metal tube is still there after the duffle cut. Could the dufflecut have been WW1?
    Last edited by Hambone; 07-14-2012 at 09:27 AM.

more pics.....

and more pics....