Third Party Press
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on this K98 Navy rifle (ended auction)

Default Opinions on this K98 Navy rifle (ended auction)

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=296386748

I am wondering what your thoughts are about this rifle, mainly the stock.
    Does it look like it has been cleaned?

PS this is not my rifle.

Thank you.

MOD EDIT; Pics added
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Hambone; 07-21-2012 at 04:37 PM.

I could be wrong but it appears lightly cleaned IMO. I would also be worried about the metal. The high polish blue looks commercial in quality.

MOD Edit : Pics added
    Last edited by Hambone; 07-21-2012 at 04:39 PM.

Odd, look at the condition of the takedown disks and compare to the rest of the metal. A bit strange don't you think?

Mod edit: Pics added
    Last edited by Hambone; 07-21-2012 at 05:13 PM.
    Life is full of fake people. Before you decide to judge them make sure you are not one of them.

Well, I bought it from a member here, fellow mod, didn't know it was his auction. I've worked hard in 2012 and had a decent year so I treated myself. Earlier Borsidgwalde like this had a high polish finish, which this is, made shinier by a light coat of oil. The discs still retain a preservative dried coating or light rust. The stock has probably had preservative removed, but not sanded or wooled that I can tell. Early rifles like this had stocks which were final finished. Cleaning would have taken the crispness out of the dings and prangs and markings IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    Well, I bought it from a member here, fellow mod, didn't know it was his auction. I've worked hard in 2012 and had a decent year so I treated myself. Earlier Borsidgwalde like this had a high polish finish, which this is, made shinier by a light coat of oil. The discs still retain a preservative dried coating or light rust. The stock has probably had preservative removed, but not sanded or wooled that I can tell. Early rifles like this had stocks which were final finished. Cleaning would have taken the crispness out of the dings and prangs and markings IMHO.
    Oh I agree, it has never been sanded or anything, just a varnish or something was probably removed. Not a huge deal IMO especially on a scarce Navy gun. I was thinking the stock discs might be painted. Doesn't look like rust to me...
    If you vouch for that beautiful blue, that is enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanE View Post
    Oh I agree, it has never been sanded or anything, just a varnish or something was probably removed. Not a huge deal IMO especially on a scarce Navy gun. I was thinking the stock discs might be painted. Doesn't look like rust to me...
    If you vouch for that beautiful blue, that is enough for me.
    Ryan, thanks, but I'm not any final word on things. We all are. The early 243s in the pic sticky tell the story. It's quite tough, in my experience, to find this high polish in this condition. It gets "frosted" and dull before it comes off, and most of these we see are frosted and dull. It would be extremely hard to replicate this without the polishing removing the crispness of the markings. There could have been a preservative coat over the entire rifle, wiped off the wood and metal, not the discs. Usually when these get pimped the discs do too and those lighter stamps would have suffered.

Congrats on that rifle Ham. I've been watching it out of curiosity
    since the day it was listed. Amazing K98 !

Chris

Thanks Doc. I believe the finish appearance is a result of high polish (as seen on these 243s) + oil + sunlight. I'll have it in hand probably this week.

Default 243 39

my gut was all the exposed metal items were cleaned of rust. Less the takedown discs.. I.E. the butt plate and recoil lug. Items not blued tend to rust at a different rate and this is fairly common on k98's.. I wouldnt be surprised if the disc was fleet marked under the rust. Cleaning them though is the issue. I liked the rifle from the get go when it was posted on the ww2 weapons forum but, never got around to adding my 2 cents. I cant recall seeing another 243/39 navy rifle.. I had an ar41 navy so mauser berlin was a kriegs supplier along with steyr. I'd say it was a good grab. looking again I like it even more. I missed the matching cleaning rod..Nice touch !

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    Real beautiful K98 mauser you got there,congrats
    Regards