Third Party Press

clc44 grips - too nice?

BerlinerLuebecker

Just picked up this great matching clc44 from a fellow BCN member, but the grips almost look too nice. What are your thoughts on this? Checking references, it does appear that some very clean wooden grips came out with these '44 dates, but these seem almost too nice to be original.

Attachments

• IMG_5702.JPG
    IMG_5702.JPG
    273.3 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_5703.JPG
    IMG_5703.JPG
    179.7 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_5705.JPG
    IMG_5705.JPG
    260 KB · Views: 73
Thanks for the input, guys. As the rest of bayonet is very nice, I think I'll just keep an eye out for a replacement opportunity for the grips.

Richard Herder (clc) produced bayonets into only the H block in 1944. This example is very high in the F block representing late 1944 production for this firm. Although some makers reintroduced soft light wood (often unstained or unfinished) grip scales in late war examples, Richard Herder examples in the last few letter blocks are almost always observed with phenolic mixture grips. My thoughts only .......

Here is a "g" block for comparison.

Attachments

• 1944 clc g4652 01.jpg
    1944 clc g4652 01.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 1944 clc g4652 02.jpg
    1944 clc g4652 02.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 1944 clc g4652 03.jpg
    1944 clc g4652 03.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 24
Assuming these are the original grips, it does appear that wood grips still made their way into production in the later blocks: http://k98.free.fr/clc44-G8824.html

Agreed and I did not state otherwise. Information compiled however indicates that they are generally encountered with the late war phenolic grips. The grip scales on the piece shown by Peter S are textbook as an example of late war phenolic material mixed with wood pulp or other filler in a reddish color. Hopefully the spare grip scales are of late war vintage. Putting early or mid-war black or dark brown phenolic grips on that late of a bayonet would not be a viable restoration. My thoughts only .......

If it's not one thing, it's two things... it appears the one of the composite grips is slightly too long to fit properly. What would you guys do? I strongly hesitate to make the fit. Should I just wait to get another pair and hope they do?

Good grief! You are having trouble catching a break on this one! I know your pain, have seen this myself. If it were me, I would not tamper with the grip scale that is a shade too long. Rather, look for a beater late war bayonet that you could use for the grips. Might take a bit to find the right one but well worth it in the end. My thoughts only .....

Military Rifle Journal
Back