Third Party Press
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: clc44 grips - too nice?

Quote Originally Posted by BerlinerLuebecker View Post
    Assuming these are the original grips, it does appear that wood grips still made their way into production in the later blocks: http://k98.free.fr/clc44-G8824.html
    Agreed and I did not state otherwise. Information compiled however indicates that they are generally encountered with the late war phenolic grips. The grip scales on the piece shown by Peter S are textbook as an example of late war phenolic material mixed with wood pulp or other filler in a reddish color. Hopefully the spare grip scales are of late war vintage. Putting early or mid-war black or dark brown phenolic grips on that late of a bayonet would not be a viable restoration. My thoughts only .......

Senior Member BerlinerLuebecker's Avatar

Yep, they'd be late-war reddish-brown. I'll post pictures when I get a chance to do the swap.

Senior Member BerlinerLuebecker's Avatar

If it's not one thing, it's two things... it appears the one of the composite grips is slightly too long to fit properly. What would you guys do? I strongly hesitate to make the fit. Should I just wait to get another pair and hope they do?

Good grief! You are having trouble catching a break on this one! I know your pain, have seen this myself. If it were me, I would not tamper with the grip scale that is a shade too long. Rather, look for a beater late war bayonet that you could use for the grips. Might take a bit to find the right one but well worth it in the end. My thoughts only .....