Third Party Press

Thread: r Block bnz45

Default r Block bnz45

A friend bought this bnz45 98k #1991r and brought it over because it was missing the bayonet lug and to see if I had an extra one to put on it, once I explained about kriegs stocks and late 98ks he felt enlightened and happy. The rifle was missing its sight hood so I put on an extra one I had, rifle is in near mint condition, matching, no Mod 98 on receiver, bolt handle has a lot of machine marks and the deepest Eagle H stamp in the stock I've ever seen. This rifle would make a nice partner for my late t block but he is hanging on to it for the time being but he eventually will either sell or trade it to me.

Chuck
    Attached Images Attached Images

Chuck,

You always get the good ones...

Hope your doing well!!!

**--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    **Wanted - Original un-dicked with late Steyr (bnz45) stock... Long shot but......
    ** --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sweet... & I really like the missing Mod 98 & walnut

email => K98@bobinohio.com

Very nice, pic stickied. BiO, they used a particular low grade of walnut on those, didn't they? You're the walnut guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    Very nice, pic stickied. BiO, they used a particular low grade of walnut on those, didn't they? You're the walnut guy.

Hard for me to exactly tell on these? I hear folks refer to "scrub walnut".... but don't know what that is and that euphemism makes me uncomfortable.

Sapwood is light in color and needs to be stained otherwise it's pretty blond. Folks say these stocks are "lighter" (less dense) but walnut is less dense than lam beech. Not sure the density of sap v. heartwood for walnut.

This isn't a wood thread, but here's some more info for those interested...

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread....-Walnut-Stocks

Back to the r-block, it's a screamer

email => K98@bobinohio.com

Very nice! I really like the rough machining. Great eagle/H stamp as well.

Excellent example! Some of these have V markings on the bottom of the receiver, leftovers or diverted from the Volksgewehr contract. Thats the reason for the missing Mod.98, receivers marked for use on VG5 or VK98 rifles.
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

Beautiful gun! I really like the r blocks as they are far less frequently encountered than the later s and t and the missing "mod." makes it's a nice variant to have. I've been keeping a survey of late steyr guns that includes around 100 matching rifles and only have noted 8 r blocks ( vs some 30 each for s and t) and 7 missing the "mod." across r and s blocks so this is a desirable combo.

Default wow..

thats the nicest r block ive ever seen !! what a find, and its always the guys who have no idea what they have that find a gem like that !

Quote Originally Posted by mauser99 View Post
    thats the nicest r block ive ever seen !! what a find, and its always the guys who have no idea what they have that find a gem like that !
    I call em FNGFs (friggin new guy find)