Third Party Press

r Block bnz45

Gunrunner

A friend bought this bnz45 98k #1991r and brought it over because it was missing the bayonet lug and to see if I had an extra one to put on it, once I explained about kriegs stocks and late 98ks he felt enlightened and happy. The rifle was missing its sight hood so I put on an extra one I had, rifle is in near mint condition, matching, no Mod 98 on receiver, bolt handle has a lot of machine marks and the deepest Eagle H stamp in the stock I've ever seen. This rifle would make a nice partner for my late t block but he is hanging on to it for the time being but he eventually will either sell or trade it to me.

Chuck

Attachments

• DSCF1242.jpg
    DSCF1242.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 243
  • DSCF1243.jpg
    DSCF1243.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 267
  • DSCF1245.jpg
    DSCF1245.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 306
  • DSCF1247.jpg
    DSCF1247.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 241
  • DSCF1248.jpg
    DSCF1248.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 222
  • DSCF1249.jpg
    DSCF1249.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 171
  • DSCF1251.jpg
    DSCF1251.jpg
    303.1 KB · Views: 209
  • DSCF1250.jpg
    DSCF1250.jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 263
Very nice, pic stickied. BiO, they used a particular low grade of walnut on those, didn't they? You're the walnut guy.

Very nice, pic stickied. BiO, they used a particular low grade of walnut on those, didn't they? You're the walnut guy.

Hard for me to exactly tell on these? I hear folks refer to "scrub walnut".... but don't know what that is and that euphemism makes me uncomfortable.

Sapwood is light in color and needs to be stained otherwise it's pretty blond. Folks say these stocks are "lighter" (less dense) but walnut is less dense than lam beech. Not sure the density of sap v. heartwood for walnut.

This isn't a wood thread, but here's some more info for those interested...

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?316-Color-of-German-Walnut-Stocks

Back to the r-block, it's a screamer :thumbsup:

Excellent example! Some of these have V markings on the bottom of the receiver, leftovers or diverted from the Volksgewehr contract. Thats the reason for the missing Mod.98, receivers marked for use on VG5 or VK98 rifles. :thumbsup:

Beautiful gun! I really like the r blocks as they are far less frequently encountered than the later s and t and the missing "mod." makes it's a nice variant to have. I've been keeping a survey of late steyr guns that includes around 100 matching rifles and only have noted 8 r blocks ( vs some 30 each for s and t) and 7 missing the "mod." across r and s blocks so this is a desirable combo.

wow..

thats the nicest r block ive ever seen !! what a find, and its always the guys who have no idea what they have that find a gem like that ! :facepalm:

Military Rifle Journal
Back