Third Party Press

Original Mauser Documents from Jon Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

mauser22

I am making this a sticky as a parking place for things Jon is forwarding for our interests.

PLEASE DON'T REPLY as I intend to post up other things he gives us as subsequent replys.

Enjoy and Thank you Herr Speed!

Orginal KKW Specifications

With a picture of Bruce's pristine example stolen from a previous thread.

Attachments

• karemKKW.jpg
    karemKKW.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 290
  • jskkw1.jpg
    jskkw1.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 325
  • jskkw2.jpg
    jskkw2.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 359
Menz DSM SN 93 Oberndorf Test Target

Courtesy of Jon Speed

The actual target fired in the inspection and accuracy comparison tests conducted by Mauser Oberndorf of other maker's Deutsches Sport Modell. This is discussed in "Mauser Small Bores". Page 261

Not bad considering the observations on the quality control of this maker.

Post any comments in seperate post please DO NOT REPLY to this thread. Reserved for more documents as I get time to review and edit them.

Attachments

• P1050919.jpg
    P1050919.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:
Barrel Specifications and Chamber Dimensions DSM 34 and B Series

Courtesy of Jon Speed

Attachments

• barrelspecs (1024x627).jpg
    barrelspecs (1024x627).jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 232
Mauser Test Report of Beechwood Stocks for the DSM

Although I have never observed one, attached is the original Mauser Oberndorf document with results of testing beech as an alternative stock material for the Deutsches Sportmodell. Also a complete English translation with special thanks to my brother Steve for that.

As many of you know, Mauser did use elm for DSM stocks late in production. At the time "Mauser Small Bores" was published we were of the opinion this was oak and stocks referred to in that reference as Oak are in fact elm. Thanks to Bruce Karem for the testing done on the Oberndorf stocks of that same time frame.

Translation follows:

Technical Directive 1

In reference to correspondence of 10 November 1934 concerning the D.S.M. serial number 7343 with beech wood stock.

During the period of 12 - 29 November, firearm was daily stored overnight in cold climate of attic space. Moreover, prior to placing it into storage on the 26th, 27th, 28th and 29th, it was sprayed thoroughly with water; on the mornings of the 28th and 29th November this resulted in the rifle being encrusted with ice. Throughout the daytime the rifle was kept in close proximity to a heat source, and further was daily subjected to extensive handling, during which one's hands repeatedly became so soiled that laying the firearm down momentarily was unavoidable.

As the pictures taken daily show (see photos 1-15), accuracy of shots was not affected. Also, grouping size remained unchanged. See also the photo from 30th November (photo 16), taken after completion of testing on the shooting machine. By this time the wood stain on the stock shows deterioration.

During handling in the first three days, all personnel experienced soiling of hands and clothing from bleeding of the wood stain, and light spots were already evident on the stock from the first day.

The stain finish was especially affected when the firearm was handled with heavily soiled hands.

All in all, the test showed that beech wood can be used for stocks without danger of warping, and that a finish of wood stain enhances the durability of the stock, and would be even further improved by the application of a final varnish treatment.

Attachments

• beech.jpg
    beech.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 149
Original Prospectus for the Deutsches Sportmodell

And of course, thank you Jon Speed.

Attachments

• prop2 (2).jpg
    prop2 (2).jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 186
  • prop2.jpg
    prop2.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 188
Manufacturer's Drawing for the KKW Handguard Retainer

Thank you Jon Speed

Attachments

• kkwclip.jpg
    kkwclip.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 183
Mauser KKW Rod Drawings

Courtesy of Jon Speed

Attachments

• rod1 (899x1280).jpg
    rod1 (899x1280).jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 158
  • rod2 (981x1061).jpg
    rod2 (981x1061).jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 136
paatz, bernh help

Hi , mike here recently jioned forum as it was one of the only places that had decent info on the early paatz single shot 22lr target rifles. I know from what I have read and what i have seen in sale ads etc. they seem to be 1940 circ, the wide target style 25-200 meter wide blade target sights, and real nice trigger setup seems par for the course... The serial numbers i have seen on two early ones i found previously listed for sale have a (proof or eagle mark by 22 long rifle) mine is almost 10000 serial numbers earlier 10xxx with no (eagle proof) this unit has wide long barrel and after firing it I would say its is most likely able to hit pin needle heads at 50 yrds with me shaking... any info would be helpful... unit functions well except safety parts are find another gun only... thanks for help advise etc. mike
lastly i apolagize if not in right spot to everyone who will be upset of my mistake computer forums are new to me..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Military Rifle Journal
Back