Third Party Press

Bayonet Serial numbers

brindy

Hi there, new to the forum as I just have purchased a 1940 Sauer K98 rifle. I am sure this is a beginners question, but I am interested in purchasing a bayonet for it. Were the bayonets serial numbers to match the rifle. or were they just unique to the bayonet and scabbords themselves?? What kind or type should I look for and most importantly. What should I expect to pay for one? Any hlep would be appreciated. Thanks Again

Welcome Brindy. The bayonet serial numbers were unique to the bayonets and had nothing to do with the rifle serial. If you go to the Documents forum here you'll see many examples of German Soldbuchs (ID books showing equipment issued, etc.) which list the weapons issued to the German soldier. Bayonets ("seitengewehr") issued were ID'd by serial number, as were rifles, pistols, etc. The bayonet serials were, of course, also for production and assembly reasons and the bayonets match the scabbard nos. There are exceptions for "commercial" unserialed bayonets. Also, there is an exception for bayonets matched to rifles: The Mauser Oberndorf K98k contract for Portugal. Each rifle had a bayonet matched to it. So, any German WW2 period K98k bayonet would be technically correct for your rifle, though it would be nice to have a 1940 date maker.

Regards,
HB

Bayonets serials were not matched to rifles. Any bayonet would be correct for your rifle, but a 1940 bayonet wouldn't be hard to find. Matching bayonets bring sometimes silly prices on eBay, but I wouldn't pay more than ~$200 for a common code (like EuF Horster) unless it was in exceptional condition.

Thank you gentlemen for the information. So my search begins now. Any ideas on where is a good place to look?? Haha

Welcome and good luck in your search! If you take a look at ebay, bayonet collecting can look pretty disheartening. $200 seems to be the going price for matching common bayonets and hard-to-find codes sell between $450-600 this past month (from ones I was watching). Your best bet may be to go to a local gun show and check the tables there (especially since you're from PA! Lots of opportunity there). Matching ones can still be found for around $100, or less if you don't mind mismatches.

Military Rifle Journal
Back