Third Party Press

1938 k98 BSW info?

iftord

Hello everyone, im new to this forum and I'm looking for some info on a rifle that was passed on to me. I have a 1938 k98 BSW ser# 2533. The Receiver and barrel have matching numbers as do the underside of the receiver and trigger guard. Any info anyone can provide would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMAG0543.jpg
    IMAG0543.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 279
  • IMAG0542.jpg
    IMAG0542.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 262
  • IMAG0544.jpg
    IMAG0544.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 237
Your rifle is very uncommon and was made at Berlin Suhler Waffen (BSW) in 1938. This maker was unique among the others as it actually used the acronym for its own name whereas the others used codes. Are there two metal bands holding the stock to the barrel between the rear sight and the muzzle? If so, what are the numbers on those? Also, are there any markings on the stock itself? Look on the right side by the hole and on the bottom edge between the grip and buttplate.

Please take pictures of the bolt numbers even if they are not matching. For now, I can tell you the rifle has some condition issues in that the stock was refinished. Adding the requested pictures will help us narrow down a value for you, if that is what you are trying to determine.

Rare k98 b suffix,would love to see more pictures,bolt nos., 2 band nos,butt plate nos,rear sight nos.etc
Alister.

The important thing as to value, if that is the question, is whether the stock matches the rifle and its condition. Can you do images of the stock and how it is marked? Also the right side of the receiver?

Regarding rarity and desirability, as the others have said, BSW (Berlin-Suhler Waffen- und Fahrzeugwerke) is a desirable maker, possibly the most desirable 1937-1939. 1938 is the most common year, both in ranges made and observed rifles that have survived, they are known into the "c" block at least, although there are two "d" blocks known that were assembled by the sister plant at Weimar (bcd). By 1939 the firm was moved away from rifle production, to take up MG34 production, they made about 14k 98k in 1939, making it the lowest "normal" production year for them. (1936 only one rifle is reportedly known, doubtful many were made, if one came up for sale today, in original condition, it would probably break a price record)

The company (BSW) itself is probably most famous for their sporting rifles, bicycles and motorcycle production, but they made the 98k 1936-1939 in small numbers, and they made rifle barrels well into 1942 for JP Sauer. Later they would play a key role in MG34/42 production. The firm has a direct link to Simson Suhl, which also made rifles and commercial products, which BSW continued after Simson was nationalized by the nazi regime in late 1935 (bicycles, motorcycles, automobiles, children's strollers, and many other things- bicycles were a main product of the company through out its history)

Thank you all for the great info so far! I will post some pics soon. I do know this rifle was supposedly a bring back by my grandfather who served in France at the end of WWII...a family member passed it on to me about 24 years ago. Again, thank you for the info and i will post the requested pics very soon!

more pictures

OK everyone here are some more pictures of the rifle in question, please let me know what you think.

Attachments

• butt1.jpg
    butt1.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 134
  • bolt1.jpg
    bolt1.jpg
    314.7 KB · Views: 123
  • bolt2.jpg
    bolt2.jpg
    320.6 KB · Views: 138
  • stock.jpg
    stock.jpg
    316.3 KB · Views: 165
Reciever,barrel,floorplate,triggerguard all 2533
stock 7858 refinished,front band 1960,bolt rear 00,would be nice to see the bolt number
on top of the handle.I doubt it came back this way.Alister.

Did you take a picture of the right side of the receiver?

Do pictures of the underside of the stock, the bottom of the buttstock and wrist, the rear sight parts, - any part that has the serial number 2533 or 33?

more pics of BSW

Here are some more pics of my rifle. The underside of the stock matches the nunumbers on the butt plate. There are also 2 faint markings under the stock serial number...I'm not sure if you can see them clearly in the pics. The rear sight does have a marking 23 and 33. There is another pic of the forend that has a W9A63, not sure if that helps but that marking looks very similiar to the two faded marks on the underside of the stock. The bolt has a marking 200 and 00 on the top.

Ok the photos didn't upload. I have recropped them and attempting to repost...fingers crossed!

Attachments

• BOLTTOP_crop.jpg
    BOLTTOP_crop.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 118
  • BOLTTOP2_crop.jpg
    BOLTTOP2_crop.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 107
  • FOREEND_crop.jpg
    FOREEND_crop.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 94
  • RCVRRIGHTSIDE_crop.jpg
    RCVRRIGHTSIDE_crop.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 109
  • rearsight_crop.jpg
    rearsight_crop.jpg
    294.4 KB · Views: 97
  • understock_crop.jpg
    understock_crop.jpg
    314 KB · Views: 89
  • UNDERSTOCK2_crop.jpg
    UNDERSTOCK2_crop.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 89
Thanks, so the only parts that match the rifle serial number is the barrel and the trigger guard assembly? Maybe a restored sporter, but the rifle is mostly an assembly of parts, none besides the trigger guard original.

That said, the trigger guard being original is a big plus, too bad about the rear sight scale but I would say you are better off than many collectors, in that you have a tougher maker, with a matching-original trigger guard group, that is worth a few bucks these days and not all that easy to find.

So all that being said and if I understand correctly, this is a collectable that someone may be interested in? What might be a fair value price range for this rifle?

Hard to say, like most mismatched rifles it is worth more in parts, that trigger guard is worth more than $100 imo, though to most collectors, to part it from the receiver would be almost as bad as voting for obama in November. It's main problems is it has quite a few mismatched parts, parts usually not mismatched, like the ebox, the scale, who knows what else. The finish looks ok in most pictures, at least it doesn't have any obvious problems.

If it were mine, and I had lost my mind and decided to sell a fairly decent BSW/38 b/r+, I would part it out. I think you could get about $300-400 for the barreled receiver and trigger guard group. The rest you might be able to get a couple hundred plus if you sell it right. The bolt has issues, but put it on ebay with pictures and some key words, but little to no description, and see where it goes...

If you keep it together, value might be worth $400 or so, only because BSW has a following and you have the trigger guard- that is a big deal to resto guys, just try finding one loose. Nice BSW parts go nuts on the auction sites.

Anyway, for every ten guys, you will have ten ideas about how to approach selling a rifle. Do what you feel best for you.

So all that being said and if I understand correctly, this is a collectable that someone may be interested in? What might be a fair value price range for this rifle?

I know this is an old thread...but

...I found it while looking for information on the manufacturer stamps on a K98 I just purchased. It is 1938 BSW, Sn 7000, C block I believe. It is an Israeli Hugunah rifle, that has later been converted to 7.62mm. Interestingly - they have made no attempt to deface the Wehrmacht markings which I believe was the practice. Sadly the last owner drilled and tapped the receiver for a bloody scope too. Very sad about that. Anyway - I found it interesting and wanted to share.

The important thing as to value, if that is the question, is whether the stock matches the rifle and its condition. Can you do images of the stock and how it is marked? Also the right side of the receiver?

Regarding rarity and desirability, as the others have said, BSW (Berlin-Suhler Waffen- und Fahrzeugwerke) is a desirable maker, possibly the most desirable 1937-1939. 1938 is the most common year, both in ranges made and observed rifles that have survived, they are known into the "c" block at least, although there are two "d" blocks known that were assembled by the sister plant at Weimar (bcd). By 1939 the firm was moved away from rifle production, to take up MG34 production, they made about 14k 98k in 1939, making it the lowest "normal" production year for them. (1936 only one rifle is reportedly known, doubtful many were made, if one came up for sale today, in original condition, it would probably break a price record)

The company (BSW) itself is probably most famous for their sporting rifles, bicycles and motorcycle production, but they made the 98k 1936-1939 in small numbers, and they made rifle barrels well into 1942 for JP Sauer. Later they would play a key role in MG34/42 production. The firm has a direct link to Simson Suhl, which also made rifles and commercial products, which BSW continued after Simson was nationalized by the nazi regime in late 1935 (bicycles, motorcycles, automobiles, children's strollers, and many other things- bicycles were a main product of the company through out its history)

Military Rifle Journal
Back