Third Party Press

LK5 marked 98k discovered

mrfarb

No War Eagles For You!
Staff member
I say discovered because I've had this rifle a while and didn't notice it. I traded for this one from ditch68, he posted in the for sale forum a while back and nobody ever bit. Anyway, I thought it might be an unattributed rework so I figured if I could trade into it for a decent price it might be cool. I had it out today just checking it out and noticed an odd marking on the left butt at the bottom, never noticed it before. I compared the rifle to some other LK5 marked guns on our forum and this one has the large 2 digit number stamped at the wrist like Bob in Ohio's G date. Internal serial of stock is mismatched, externally marked with the correct number (depot replacement with a used stock)Here are some pics, figured those keeping track of them might want to add this to the list. ditch68 said the original bands were mismatched, and replaced them with unnumbered bands as everything else matches. I suspect the "mismatched" bands were actually EP'd with the serial number, gonna try to get them back from him, hopefully he still has them. Here is a link to Bob's G date:

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?551-LK5-stamped-into-the-stock&highlight=LK5

Anyway, here are a few pertinent pics.

Attachments

• keel.jpg
    keel.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 171
  • lk5.jpg
    lk5.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 206
  • safety.jpg
    safety.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 156
  • serial.jpg
    serial.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 168
  • wrist.jpg
    wrist.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
ditch68 said the original bands were mismatched, and replaced them with unnumbered bands as everything else matches. I suspect the "mismatched" bands were actually EP'd with the serial number, gonna try to get them back from him, hopefully he still has them.

I know it sounds stupid at the time, but this is why I keep it just the way I found it..

Because when you change it, your 100% sure it didn't come back that way...

Can you imagine how many guns have been "fixed" by collectors.. (not picking on you ditch)

Good luck,

I agree Archie. I went back to his old post, he got it without bands and bandspring (it had a rear band but it was a narrow Gew98 rear).

Makes you wonder how many are left unidentified due to such worn markings.

Mike, does this mean that you are working on Vol. II? I have notice the phenomena that when you get in preparation mode for the next volume, you start sucking up all the interesting rifles you will need to illustrate your next book!

Attachments

• dou43%204061k%20001.JPG
    dou43%204061k%20001.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 41
  • dou43%204061k%20008.JPG
    dou43%204061k%20008.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 34

Mike, does this mean that you are working on Vol. II? I have notice the phenomena that when you get in preparation mode for the next volume, you start sucking up all the interesting rifles you will need to illustrate your next book!

LOL, no, not quite "working" on it. Honestly, I was going to give it to my father as a shooter and was looking it over before I turned it over. Needless to say I decided to keep it. :googlie

Whats the deal with the lower band?

Military Rifle Journal
Back