Third Party Press

Closet fresh dot 1941 G33/40

mrfarb

No War Eagles For You!
Staff member
I've had quite a few G33/40's (my first matching German rifle was a G33/40), but never one as nice as this one. Bruce tipped me off to this rifle, and it was local so I took a chance and went to see it today. Needless to say it left with me. :thumbsup:

Three piece walnut stock is untouched, has a split in the grain in the front section on the right side, but it's not detracting. Has some condition problems with the end of the barrel, but the bore is mint and the rest of the gun is just like I like them, untouched. I'm going to oil this up and not even take it apart! Missing the hood, has a K98k 10 inch rod in it and not a G33/40 rod, but this one probably came back like this.

Attachments

• side.jpg
    side.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 1,038
  • DSC_0005.jpg
    DSC_0005.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 963
  • DSC_0006.jpg
    DSC_0006.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 891
  • DSC_0007.jpg
    DSC_0007.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 764
  • DSC_0008.jpg
    DSC_0008.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 754
  • DSC_0009.jpg
    DSC_0009.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 774
  • DSC_0010.jpg
    DSC_0010.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 710
  • DSC_0011.jpg
    DSC_0011.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 778
  • DSC_0012.jpg
    DSC_0012.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 774
Last edited:
I believe Sept is Turning into a Bumper Crop Month it seems MrFarb , Best Regards :googlie:moon::moon:

I believe Sept is Turning into a Bumper Crop Month it seems MrFarb , Best Regards :googlie:moon::moon:

Dave,
You ain't just kidding September has been a banner month for hard to find quality pieces... as Gomer Pyle said "Surrprise, Surrrrprise, Surprrrrise! :biggrin1:

BTW: Very nice G33/40 mrfarb! Time to chase the rare cleaning rod and sight hood around the world. Damn cleaning rod took six months to find and cost me half of what my no-letter block G33/40 set me back but I got the rifle right! Love the stock, I don't know what forest they were logging in for those early hardwood dot's but mine is a similar full tiger striped solid stock 1 piece from very old trees that are as hard as nails. Has anyone looked at serials and letter blocks to see when the started splicing the stocks instead of cutting them from solid blanks? Were any of the 945 marked G33/40's spliced or laminated? When did the laminated beech stocks show up? Maybe someone should start serial number study for these and see what develops...:thumbsup:

Greg

Dave,
You ain't just kidding September has been a banner month for hard to find quality pieces... as Gomer Pyle said "Surrprise, Surrrrprise, Surprrrrise! :biggrin1:

BTW: Very nice G33/40 mrfarb! Time to chase the rare cleaning rod and sight hood around the world. Damn cleaning rod took six months to find and cost me half of what my no-letter block G33/40 set me back but I got the rifle right! Love the stock, I don't know what forest they were logging in for those early hardwood dot's but mine is a similar full tiger striped solid stock 1 piece from very old trees that are as hard as nails. Has anyone looked at serials and letter blocks to see when the started splicing the stocks instead of cutting them from solid blanks? Were any of the 945 marked G33/40's spliced or laminated? When did the laminated beech stocks show up? Maybe someone should start serial number study for these and see what develops...:thumbsup:

Greg

40 and 41 will have three and two piece (seen two or three) solid stocks or straight solid stocks. 42 is Laminated. Never seen any exceptions to that general rule and I've documented just shy of 500 33/40's.

Farb, that's a perfect 33/40. Thanks for sharing.

What percentage would you say were 3 piece walnut? Or have you ever kept track?

What percentage would you say were 3 piece walnut? Or have you ever kept track?

I've never really counted though I guess I could. Of the examples that I have with matching wood I'd say between 5% to 10%. Having said that the three-piece stocks while less common aren't exactly rare as 33/40's aren't exactly rare. Desirable for sure.

40 and 41 will have three and two piece (seen two or three) solid stocks or straight solid stocks. 42 is Laminated. Never seen any exceptions to that general rule and I've documented just shy of 500 33/40's.

My dot 42 has a laminated stock with a very old repaired wrist pix694412972.jpgpix410860191.jpgpix322449375.jpgpix444964315.jpg

So, then a two piece is least common?

Military Rifle Journal
Back