Third Party Press
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: M.40 Helmet w/net Normandy ID'd

Beautiful helmet and excellent job on the researching of it's previous owner. Your post of the Maisy Battery is very timely for me. I just finished a book on Point Du Hoc and visited it while touring the Normandy Coast back in 2001. It sure has changed since then and that's a good thing to see, that they are doing more preservation work on the trench system.

Quote Originally Posted by ugafx4 View Post
    In honor of the 75th anniversary of DDay coming up, saw this article and immediately thought of this helmet.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/histo...n-unnecessary/
    I'm not sure what point that article is trying to make. It's like saying today that in hindsight Iwo Jima was not really a strategically important island. It takes nothing away from the sacrifice of the men who fought over those pieces of dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwagon View Post
    I'm not sure what point that article is trying to make. It's like saying today that in hindsight Iwo Jima was not really a strategically important island. It takes nothing away from the sacrifice of the men who fought over those pieces of dirt.
    It's the New York Times.
    “Not every item of news should be published. Rather must those who control news policies endeavor to make every item of news serve a certain purpose.” - Dr. Joseph Goebbels, Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda, 1933-1945

Quote Originally Posted by bigwagon View Post
    takes nothing away from the sacrifice of the men who fought over those pieces of dirt.
    I would say the article does exactly that [ takes nothing from what those men did ] but it does expose a bit of the myth-making that always surrounds great events and clears a bit of the fog of war and gives us a clearer view of the actual battle. - which I would say is always a good thing and that it brings a truer understanding of the event - and greater honor to those who were actually there.