Third Party Press

E. u. F. Hörster 44sgx Bayonet

denny gaither

Moderator - RIP
Here is an example of a late 1944 Hörster bayonet. Hörster had already completed their first alphabet run when they ceased using spanner bolts to affix the grips and began using rivets. Sometwhere in the "ff" or very early "gg" range, their code was changed from "asw" to "sgx". Additionally, they began using a phosphate finish on the bayonets and scabbards. Although not particularly rare, these "sgx" pieces seem to be eagerly sought after by collectors. Enjoy....

"This first picture is for Archie" :facepalm:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 100_4047 (Medium).jpg
    100_4047 (Medium).jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_0005 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_0005 (Medium).jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_0009 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_0009 (Medium).jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_0010 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_0010 (Medium).jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_0012 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_0012 (Medium).jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 195
  • 100_4052 (Medium).jpg
    100_4052 (Medium).jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
nice

thx for posting... I just got one off the trader here.. I will post it up soon.. Its blued and I actually liked the blued blade better.. It shows all the directional finishing more.. Yes the late sgx's are bringing more than a common dagger.. Who would of thought ?

thx for posting... I just got one off the trader here.. I will post it up soon.. Its blued and I actually liked the blued blade better.. It shows all the directional finishing more.. Yes the late sgx's are bringing more than a common dagger.. Who would of thought ?

Yeah, please post your new find. For comparison, I'm going to post an early asw44 and a riveted asw44 with a phosphate type finish, but more of a blue/black rather than the later OD/feldgrau phosphate we all know & love....

bayo

its a dd block I just looked... I will post some pic's of it tonight if I get home before dark..:facepalm:

I haven't stumbled across one of these yet, either. Well, at least not one for a reasonable price. Color me jealous!:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Dave Roberts and I purchased a couple of 98k's from an auction a few months ago. Both came with bayonets on the rifles, his with no scabbard and mine with mismatched scabbard/blade. Good thing we knew each other- his bayonet was an sgx44 phosphate. Mine had the matching scabbard for his bayonet. :facepalm:

The auction house had no clue...

I haven't stumbled across one of these yet, either. Well, at least not one for a reasonable price. Color me jealous!:thumbsup:

Slash/Lance & I went head-to-head on this one on eBay over 12 years ago. I won, but the price was anything but reasonable.

Last edited:
Slash/Lance & I went head-to-head on this one on eBay over 12 years ago. I won, but the price was anything but reasonable.

Too funny, Denny!! We both remember that auction well it seems. If I recall correctly it was right about the time of the SOS. While we were at the show and visiting was when we realized we were in the middle of a bidding war against each other! It may have cost a bunch then but at today's prices it was a near bargain! It was then and still is a great piece. Glad that it went to a good home and that you still have it.

Also as fyi - the change from asw to sgx occurred in the gg production block and would have been in the middle of October 1944.

Military Rifle Journal
Back