Third Party Press

Thread: Gew98, Gew98m, Kar98b montage

Default Gew98, Gew98m, Kar98b montage

I made this and posted it on Gunboards as a way to illustrate the differences between the different versions of long Gewehr used by the Reichswehr. I know most on this forum probably know the difference, but perhaps this might help some new collectors or guys who don't really study the breed.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mrfarb; 10-11-2012 at 08:40 PM.
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

Thanks for the great photos.

Thanks Mike, I will make sure it stays at the top where it will be easily found by new members.

A brief outline:

The Gewehr98 was manufacture from 1898 through 1919, primarily by German State owned Arsenals and the commercial patent holders (DWM and Mauser Oberndorf). During World War One, several other private manufacturers were brought online to help due to the war.

In the period immediately after the war, no manufacture was undertaken, but plans were made to provide arms for the Reichswehr (Armed Forces - 15,000 Reichsmarine/Navy & 100,000 Reichsheer/Army) between 1920 and 1922. Starting in 1924 the Kar.98b began production at Simson Suhl and upgrading the Imperial era Gewehr98's began at the depots. The Gewehr98's that were upgraded were simply upgraded to accommodate both the S patrone and sS patrone ammunition currently used by the German military, which necessitated replacing the rearsight. The Germans rarely made special reference to this "upgraded" rifle, it was simply known as the Gewehr98 or "Gewehr98 mit sS visier" but collectors have developed several designations to differentiate between an Imperial Gewehr98 and an interwar upgraded Gewehr98. Perhaps most commonly used is "Gew.98M", or "upgraded Gewehr98". Many years ago, collectors that pioneered our hobby used the designations "Gew.98a" or "Gew.98b", the difference being related to the type of rear band employed in the upgrade. (Later upgrades used a wider rear band to provide a more stable connection for the sling)

Starting in 1929, experiments were undertaken to find a more suitable, shorter, rifle for the German military. Mauser Oberndorf Standard Modell and experiments shortening the Kar.98b were undertaken. The shortened Kar.98b was the rifle chosen and eventually this led to the adoption of the Kar.98k.

This is a very brief and superficial outline, many details were left out or abbreviated, this forum was created to further our understanding of these rifles shown above in this thread. Mike, Bruce and myself will be glad to answer any questions you might have regarding the development of the Gewehr98 through Kar.98k, if you have a rifle you are curious about, or a question, create a thread in this forum and we will try and answer your questions.
    Last edited by Loewe; 10-10-2012 at 08:49 PM.

Very nice and very helpful.

Great post, very helpful to those of us that are not up to speed on the different WW1/Post WW1 models.

Where did the 98a carbine fit in all this? I know your montage was of the "long Gewehr" models....

Quote Originally Posted by PMKS View Post
    Great post, very helpful to those of us that are not up to speed on the different WW1/Post WW1 models.

Where did the 98a carbine fit in all this? I know your montage was of the "long Gewehr" models....
    I might as well add the 98a, you are right.
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

Love the look of that Kar98b..

Default So what do I have?

Thanks for the nice photo comparisons.

So what do I have, or what would you call this?
    Amberg 05 - photos attached.
    Only thing that looks updated is the sight I think.
    Got it about 30 yrs. ago from a gun show walk around guy.

If this post is in the wrong place, sorry. Please move.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome to the forum, your post is ok here.

Your rifle was a upgraded Gewehr98, probably sent to Spain, totally refinished and rather harshly too. The receiver was scrubbed so much that many of the original markings are weak or obliterated.. the serial is not a German applied one, it has been re-numbered.